Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 299
  1. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    I varsitied in that. Forgot to put that in my biography section.

    I've been searching and reading threads about aluminum vs steel tanks all morning. Since I'm going to be doing 95% of my diving in Florida, I assume I should go with steel. I have to ask though. Why is there such a difference between FL and MX when it comes to diving aluminum? I read a lot of threads about how to combat the additional bouyancy with either weighting the tanks or the BC etc, but why do the two different styles exists? I can see not wanting to travel with steel tanks, but they should be available for rent just like here, right? That can't be the reason though. Is it a "While in MX..." thing?


  2. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    I varsitied in that. Forgot to put that in my biography section.

    I've been searching and reading threads about aluminum vs steel tanks all morning. Since I'm going to be doing 95% of my diving in Florida, I assume I should go with steel. I have to ask though. Why is there such a difference between FL and MX when it comes to diving aluminum? I read a lot of threads about how to combat the additional bouyancy with either weighting the tanks or the BC etc, but why do the two different styles exists? I can see not wanting to travel with steel tanks, but they should be available for rent just like here, right? That can't be the reason though. Is it a "While in MX..." thing?
    I am not sure why that is still prevalent, but it started because there was a huge OW industry there, before we discovered caves there, and AL tanks were all that was available.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Marianna, FL
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I am not sure why that is still prevalent, but it started because there was a huge OW industry there, before we discovered caves there, and AL tanks were all that was available.
    Thankfully you now have the option of renting steel tanks in QRoo. Zero Gravity has a few sets of Worthington 85s available (and it is what they use for exploring.) Hopefully the other shops will follow suit soon.


  4. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    There are several claims by those who favor sidemount with aluminum tanks. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger and prefer steel tanks

    One claim is that supposedly the trim with aluminum tanks is much nicer, since the tanks are more or less neutral (as opposed to steel tanks that are usually negative). This supposedly also results in a better maneuverability, for example to turn and swim upside down (whatever that would be good for).

    Another claim is that only aluminum tanks are safe, for example in the Toddy system, because only aluminum tanks are safe to swap in emergency situations.

    I also heard that it's close to impossible to swing steel tanks forward in restrictions (which I found not to be the case) which is another argument of the pro aluminum tank divers.

    And as to my response that steel tanks can hold more gas, I was told that if the gas of four aluminum tanks is not enough, a rebreather is the way to go.

    Again, those are the arguments I have heard from those who prefer aluminum tanks.


  5. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    I varsitied in that. Forgot to put that in my biography section.

    I've been searching and reading threads about aluminum vs steel tanks all morning. Since I'm going to be doing 95% of my diving in Florida, I assume I should go with steel. I have to ask though. Why is there such a difference between FL and MX when it comes to diving aluminum? I read a lot of threads about how to combat the additional bouyancy with either weighting the tanks or the BC etc, but why do the two different styles exists? I can see not wanting to travel with steel tanks, but they should be available for rent just like here, right? That can't be the reason though. Is it a "While in MX..." thing?
    Nobody has really directy answered your question 100% yet. Due to cost of importation, steel tanks have typically been cost prohibitive in mexico. You can get them there as they're becoming easier to obtain, but most shops still carry 99.9% aluminum. The guys in mexico are used to aluminums and prefer them. Its all about availability which led to preference. Nakatomi makes all good points in his response.
    When it comes to weighting tanks vs weighting bc, that is a fl vs mx thing. Its very frowned upon to weight your tanks in mexico. Mainly because as kelly said earlier you want to be weighted to be neutral with your tanks off. On top of that its so easy to dive al's without weights on the tank, theres really no need to.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    I tried the adding 2-3 lb weights on my al80's a couple years ago in Mexico. I only did 2 dives as it wasn't really a cave diving trip but I hated it. I have since bought a Razor and a H style harness with an msr bag type wing. I have played with them a little but I haven't done a real dive with them yet. I am going to Mexico in January and I am looking forward to trying it out. It definitely feels less restrictive than a Florida style rig with large steel tanks. I am of the opinion that it is 2 different styles of diving and the rigs can be made to work diving in the other country but they are not optimal. I know people tout the Stealth with steel tanks but I haven't been around one enough to know. I find it interesting that SubGravity has the Diamond and Hollis is coming out with the Katana. Has anyone been successful using these with large steel tanks and multiple stages? The pics I have seen the diver looks like they have a football on their back.


  7. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Yeah, Phillip had a good thread that I read "Stealth and steel tanks". He (an aluminum Caribbean diver) didn't seem to have any issues using steel and actually loved them in the water.

    I figured it was an availability thing that lead to creating stubborn adopted styles like in most things, but figured I'd ask. Thanks guys. I think for the cost of steel tanks, I'll be renting them for a few years to come while investing in all of the other expensive goodies, until diving weekly and the difference in renting vs owning and still having to pay for fills can be justified.


  8. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Central GA
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I tried the adding 2-3 lb weights on my al80's a couple years ago in Mexico. I only did 2 dives as it wasn't really a cave diving trip but I hated it. I have since bought a Razor and a H style harness with an msr bag type wing. I have played with them a little but I haven't done a real dive with them yet. I am going to Mexico in January and I am looking forward to trying it out. It definitely feels less restrictive than a Florida style rig with large steel tanks. I am of the opinion that it is 2 different styles of diving and the rigs can be made to work diving in the other country but they are not optimal. I know people tout the Stealth with steel tanks but I haven't been around one enough to know. I find it interesting that SubGravity has the Diamond and Hollis is coming out with the Katana. Has anyone been successful using these with large steel tanks and multiple stages? The pics I have seen the diver looks like they have a football on their back.
    Put the LP50s in your carry on!

    Derek

  9. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    Yeah, Phillip had a good thread that I read "Stealth and steel tanks". He (an aluminum Caribbean diver) didn't seem to have any issues using steel and actually loved them in the water.

    I figured it was an availability thing that lead to creating stubborn adopted styles like in most things, but figured I'd ask. Thanks guys. I think for the cost of steel tanks, I'll be renting them for a few years to come while investing in all of the other expensive goodies, until diving weekly and the difference in renting vs owning and still having to pay for fills can be justified.
    You already have one AL tank. Just get another one for now, and worry about steels later.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    You already have one AL tank. Just get another one for now, and worry about steels later.
    What he said!

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads


 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts