Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 299
  1. #61

    Default

    If you actually need to remove a tank in a constriction, I find weighting the least of my worries as I'm touching the rock?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTest View Post
    If you actually need to remove a tank in a constriction, I find weighting the least of my worries as I'm touching the rock?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It isn't nearly the problem getting through restrictions, as it is trying to donate a tank. However if your only source of weight is your tanks, then you will have to drag yourself along the ceiling to get through a restriction. It is much better to have just enough weight on your harness to counter the buoyancy of a deflated dry suit.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #63

    Default

    Ahh. Solo diving over hear!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  4. #64
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    . However if your only source of weight is your tanks, then you will have to drag yourself along the ceiling to get through a restriction. It is much better to have just enough weight on your harness to counter the buoyancy of a deflated dry suit.
    That only works if the restriction is down low and able hold yourself down. Many times by the time you enter a restriction body position may no be conducive to allow venting of drysuit or wing. IMO, dealing with buoyancy shifts from tank removal in a restriction only complicates the problem, or inother words it just gives Murphy more opportunities. Just a word of warning to people who depend on tanks for negative buoyancy and enter restrictions with possible tank removal. I think you and I know of an incident where there was a fatality this type of situation.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    One thing that I see that we should have all been taught in ow class is to weight yourself so you can do a 10' - 20' stop with nearly empty tanks. I see people all the time in Faber tanks and drysuits with no weight on their harness. This works as long as they are coming out with plenty of gas but if they ever have a real issue they are going to be stuck to the ceiling. I have seen instructors teach this and I really don't understand why.


  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Central GA
    Posts
    427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    One thing that I see that we should have all been taught in ow class is to weight yourself so you can do a 10' - 20' stop with nearly empty tanks. I see people all the time in Faber tanks and drysuits with no weight on their harness. This works as long as they are coming out with plenty of gas but if they ever have a real issue they are going to be stuck to the ceiling. I have seen instructors teach this and I really don't understand why.
    I learned this the hard way the 2nd time I dived Faber 120s . Did a recalculation on 3rds for a short dive with an intro guy in JB on 1/6s. I put 6lbs on my harness after that dive. Another problem is stages when they get low and causing positive buoyancy. All apart of a learning process! This weekend begins the learning part of the DPV process.

    Derek

  7. #67
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    People, please stop telling backmount divers to isolate at the first sign of a problem. Isolating a set of doubles is pretty much never needed. Ever. It just wastes time.

    Shut down the offending post instead.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Central GA
    Posts
    427

    Default

    What are doubles?

    Derek

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullnglide View Post
    What are doubles?

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullnglide View Post
    What are doubles?

    Has something to do with tennis, doesn't it?

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads


 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts