Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30
Results 291 to 299 of 299
  1. #291
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    That was my thinking as well for cave, basically be neutrally buoyant with the BC lift only compensating the weight of the tanks. But I figure for cavern, I should be neutrally buoyant with empty tanks, not without tanks.


  2. #292

    Default

    I suppose it would depend on whether you use steel or Ali tanks for your primary cylinders.

    Alis get very buoyant when empty. Steels, not really (but a bit)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  3. #293
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTest View Post
    I suppose it would depend on whether you use steel or Ali tanks for your primary cylinders.

    Alis get very buoyant when empty. Steels, not really (but a bit)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    ..And all steel tanks are not created equal. ..Even LP steels vary in empty buoyancy. I have LP72s that get real floaty when empty, and 104s that I think might sink a Boston Whaler with only 1,000 psi in them.


    There's a chart out there somewhere with most of the full/empty buoyancy characteristics for most of the popular tanks.


  4. #294
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC, USA
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    There's a chart out there somewhere with most of the full/empty buoyancy characteristics for most of the popular tanks.
    This is the one I use for that.


  5. #295
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Yeah, I like hurons site too, but they don't offer details on Worthington tanks unless I'm over looking. I've been told the following by a mentor on here:

    "Worthington LP 85s are 7.1 pounds negative with valve, at 2640 psi, and with a cave fill they are about 10 pounds negative. That's about 5 pounds more negative buoyancy per pair compared to Fabers, but the benefit is that they stay level in the water when they get down to the 1200 psi range. If you can float the extra 5 pounds, the Worthington tanks offer better trim."

    So in a perfect world, maybe Id need 20lbs of lift. Taking into consideration the new reg set up, BC, wetsuit differences, fins, possible need for trim weights, etc, we'll see what the new weight/lift needs are.


  6. #296
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    So I bought some brand new Dive Rite Compact Brass SPGs and when I just opened them, one of the glass bezels wasn't on the gauge. The other one is sealed up tight. I called the shop, and they said to send it back them and they'd glad swap it out with Dive Rite, no problem. Curiously, I ask if anyone's ever had this happen and can they be resealed? I'm planning on just swapping it back out, because I want the new gauge I paid for, but anyone? The inside of the housing is smooth with no dimple or ring, so how does the owing seal the bezel so well in the first place? Vacuum?


  7. #297
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Coast of Arizona
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone 1 View Post
    Yeah, I like hurons site too, but they don't offer details on Worthington tanks unless I'm over looking. I've been told the following by a mentor on here:

    "Worthington LP 85s are 7.1 pounds negative with valve, at 2640 psi, and with a cave fill they are about 10 pounds negative. That's about 5 pounds more negative buoyancy per pair compared to Fabers, but the benefit is that they stay level in the water when they get down to the 1200 psi range. If you can float the extra 5 pounds, the Worthington tanks offer better trim."

    So in a perfect world, maybe Id need 20lbs of lift. Taking into consideration the new reg set up, BC, wetsuit differences, fins, possible need for trim weights, etc, we'll see what the new weight/lift needs are.
    There is also http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/ser...IFICATIONS.pdf

    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

    "If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

  8. #298
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    EUREKA! I finally found my back up BCD! Nice controlled ascent... LOL.

    https://youtu.be/hRERyvzHn4Y


  9. #299
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    49

    Default

    You could stash a needle in the wrist strap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts