Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 299
  1. #171
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    I know at least 5 underwater caves in FL where climbing rope and ascenders are must have gear.
    Aw come on ARY, share the wealth!


  2. #172
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    I know at least 5 underwater caves in FL where climbing rope and ascenders are must have gear.
    Crazy talk!


  3. #173
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    That's how I dive Devils Den- the stairs are for the weak.


  4. #174
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    bro. its cave *diving*. Leave the carabiners, ascenders, figure 8s, etc at home.

    *Caving* is where you need those things. you were so close!
    That was babysitting OW divers during checkout dives, big ass suicide clip was for keeping fins on my rig so I could be hands free on the dock. Only use it for clipping fins off when getting up and down boat ladders and shore diving. Made sure it had the screw lock though to keep from getting hooked to stuff


  5. #175
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    That was babysitting OW divers during checkout dives, big ass suicide clip was for keeping fins on my rig so I could be hands free on the dock. Only use it for clipping fins off when getting up and down boat ladders and shore diving. Made sure it had the screw lock though to keep from getting hooked to stuff
    Funny, I use big 'biners for my fins, but it is for walking between sumps. I think these cave *divers* that don't like 'biners aren't really *cave* divers

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #176
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    Aw come on ARY, share the wealth!
    You have to research it. I will give a clue for the first 4 coming to my mind, 3 are on Santa Fe river. Lets say 4th is recently very famous the deepest US cave. 2 more are open water dive sites. One more is a snorkeling site on a west coast river ... oh stop its already 6...

    ARY (Photo, video)

  7. #177
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Funny, I use big 'biners for my fins, but it is for walking between sumps. I think these cave *divers* that don't like 'biners aren't really *cave* divers
    I have done that also, when I was on the west coast entering or exiting surf. Biners but like everything it's how you use them.

    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

  8. #178
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Funny, I use big 'biners for my fins, but it is for walking between sumps. I think these cave *divers* that don't like 'biners aren't really *cave* divers
    Shhhhh....don't reveal the advantages of 'biners in sidemount diving,otherwise the shops that have the nice stainless steel ones will jack up the price, and it will cost me more.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  9. #179

    Default

    I use biners on my Sidemount cylinders too, and my bungee straps, and on my regulator necklace. Don't get all bogged up with mud like piston clips.

    Again, sump diver....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  10. #180
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Denham Springs, LA
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Soooo, I bought some AL80's for the time being. I know they're not most of your go-to's for sidemount due to their floaty characteristics at different psi, but they'll at least allow me to be able to start my training and get wet this winter while not having to invest in a drysuit yet. Picking up incentive-pay on top of overtime this week, so this 90hr work week should leave me enough dough for Christmas presents for the wife and kid, and some classtime for myself. Been talking with a couple instructors over the past week, as well as receiving suggestions and information from some pretty awesome members on here thru PM. Shout out to Larry, Forrest, Rob, Russell, Nakatomi, Oliver, and the bunch for taking time to answer some sidemount Q&A.

    Ordering Rob's Sidemount book as well as another copy for my dive buddy for Christmas. Going to read it thoroughly, and set a date soon. Planning on Sidemount and Cavern. We'll practice those over the next year and get familiar with all of the new gear arrangments, replace everything and rearrange things 143 more times, and then continue on down the cave road.

    That's the plan anyway. Still need some SPGs for my mk25s, but not sure on hose length, nor will I be until I get signed up. How many of you use 6" vs 9"? I've even been reading where some guys use one of each. I know that the arrangement is like everything else- it's gotta work for ME not you, but I'm curious. If I can get a couple gauges as Christmas presents rather than buying them when I get the training, then that's a bonus. Also, which gauge faces to you prefer, white or black? I could always go ahead and get the gauges, and buy the hoses the day of training, rather than the gauges and hoses.



 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: small SM travel setup, SMS50, small wing, etc
    By corvettejoe in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
  2. WTB: Small Tanks
    By skip in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Bands for Small Doubles
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts