Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 124
  1. #81
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    We live in an age where toasters have warnings on them not to use in a bathtub. Do we really think we're going to eradicate stupid? Sometimes, I really want to catch the next bus to Andromeda.

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  2. #82
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sskasser View Post
    We live in an age where toasters have warnings on them not to use in a bathtub. Do we really think we're going to eradicate stupid? Sometimes, I really want to catch the next bus to Andromeda.
    But,is it okay to use a toaster oven with bacon in the shower?

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  3. #83
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    But,is it okay to use a toaster oven with bacon in the shower?

    Bacon

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  4. #84

    Default

    Only if you are toasting English muffins, Kelly.


  5. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    346

    Default

    I think that a memorial plaque would be appropriate. The plaque should mention that they were diving beyond their certification level. It should also say that the appropriate certifications are full cave, decompression, and trimix. That should be sufficient for any reader who values his life. Pejorative comments like "stupid" or "reckless" are unnecessary and would offend the family.
    Some people do pay attention to these things. My buddy and I took a look at the crosses on the easy summit ridge of Monte Rosa and concluded that lightning strikes were very common. Although the nearest cloud was 50 miles away, we prudently turned around as soon as we reached the summit and delayed lunch until we were safely down onto the plateau below

    "I like to do dangerous things safely."

  6. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
    I think that a memorial plaque would be appropriate.
    If a memorial plaque for these two goes into the cave following this incident, I will pull it out and throw it in the weeds the next day.

    Michael C. Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers

  7. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barney00 View Post
    If a memorial plaque for these two goes into the cave following this incident, I will pull it out and throw it in the weeds the next day.
    ...and I will help you do it.

    Brian


  8. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barney00 View Post
    If a memorial plaque for these two goes into the cave following this incident, I will pull it out and throw it in the weeds the next day.
    Really? Just the fact that somebody pays to instructor and gets certified doesn't give one the right to be a cave polizei. Before the land law there is no difference between certified to [cave] dive citizen and hillbilly with pressurized bug spray tank. You pay taxes, you pay the admission - you go and do whatever landlord allows to do on property. "Cave agencies" are only 30% for a good cause - the rest is pure business which is not wrong thing at all either. But if somebody dies in the highway ditch it is up to survivors to set memorials, and up to civil crowd to respect it. Adjust the EGO pressure release valve folks - being a cave diver doesn't give you a right to patronize the rest of underwater visitors. However the incident analysis is always beneficial thing. Of course all that IsMHO. Dive safe, blue sky.

    ARY (Photo, video)

  9. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    Really? Just the fact that somebody pays to instructor and gets certified doesn't give one the right to be a cave polizei. Before the land law there is no difference between certified to [cave] dive citizen and hillbilly with pressurized bug spray tank. You pay taxes, you pay the admission - you go and do whatever landlord allows to do on property. "Cave agencies" are only 30% for a good cause - the rest is pure business which is not wrong thing at all either. But if somebody dies in the highway ditch it is up to survivors to set memorials, and up to civil crowd to respect it. Adjust the EGO pressure release valve folks - being a cave diver doesn't give you a right to patronize the rest of underwater visitors. However the incident analysis is always beneficial thing. Of course all that IsMHO. Dive safe, blue sky.
    A memorial to stupidity = cave trash.

    Michael C. Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers

  10. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
    I think that a memorial plaque would be appropriate. The plaque should mention that they were diving beyond their certification level. It should also say that the appropriate certifications are full cave, decompression, and trimix. That should be sufficient for any reader who values his life. Pejorative comments like "stupid" or "reckless" are unnecessary and would offend the family.
    Some people do pay attention to these things. My buddy and I took a look at the crosses on the easy summit ridge of Monte Rosa and concluded that lightning strikes were very common. Although the nearest cloud was 50 miles away, we prudently turned around as soon as we reached the summit and delayed lunch until we were safely down onto the plateau below

    The plaque, if there is one, should be nailed to the steps! I moved the plaque from 155ffw in Paradise because it became a destination. Moved it to a shallower spot in the cavern hoping it would serve as a deterrence. They say crosses and flowers on roadsides slow people down, maybe so but not if Darwin candidates are driving.

    /Ken Hill

    “Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it.” Ayn Rand


 

Similar Threads

  1. Eagle's Nest, 2/28/12
    By WJH in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
  2. Eagle's Nest
    By phreaticus in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 08:05 PM
  3. Eagle's Nest 2
    By Walter Pickel in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 11:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts