Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 117

Thread: Sad but true

  1. #81
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Sometimes a little hyperbole's a good thing; other times... not so much.
    ROFL, I was apparently typing my response at the same time as you. Great minds think alike...and apparently so do ours. That should worry you a bit

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  2. #82
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
    line arrows in all caves in Mexico with no warning and for no apparent reason
    Not only what Sludge and Shirley say, but.... it's not for "no apparent reason". He's got a reason. You may disagree with it. In fact, a lot of people seem to disagree with it. But it's not without reason.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  3. #83
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sskasser View Post
    That should worry you a bit
    No, it worries me a LOT!

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    I don't believe replacing original explorers arrows was done for safety,but rather to be obnoxious. I used to think Gerard was an important figure in the cave scene...but now I just think he acts like an ass.


  5. #85

    Default

    I meant vandal#1 does this indiscriminately in any cave he dives whenever he feels like it and to anyone he feels like doing it to, obviously not every single cave in Mexico and everyone, come on did you actually take that at face value? You guys really did not understand what I meant?

    he never did that to me either and I have a bunch of arrows in caves down there but that is only because he has no idea were I am exploring otherwise I am 100% sure he would take my arrows out too, what if I zip tie them in place..lol?
    vandal #1 will go into newly discovered caves and literraly take out arrows placed there a few days earlier and place them with his! The one thing I never understood is why he did not (or maybe he did) get a few serious beat downs for doing this.

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Appalachia
    Posts
    17

    Default

    This will be my last comment.

    It seems that many of those at the core of this controversy are angry because "You didn't ask my permission to replace that line."

    No one needs to ask your permission. We only need to ask for the permission of the land owner. Last I heard the local "line committee" was disbanded my Mexican authorites and were told that they had no authority in the area. Has that changed?

    Harry A. Marinakis, M.D.

  7. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    Not only what Sludge and Shirley say, but.... it's not for "no apparent reason". He's got a reason. You may disagree with it. In fact, a lot of people seem to disagree with it. But it's not without reason.
    What would the reason be in a newly discovered cave to remove the arrows and replace them with his? The cave being explored by extremely competent divers who definitely placed them in the best possible place on the line?
    Other than a personal vendetta or mental issues, it is definitely not for safety reasons.

    This vandal is a well known nuisance in Mexico and all prominent cave divers, guides and explorers in Mexico all tell the same story of who incredibly annoying and sometimes unsafe his actions are of constantly replacing arrows.

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com

  8. #88
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post

    This vandal is a well known nuisance in Mexico and all prominent cave divers, guides and explorers in Mexico all tell the same story of who incredibly annoying and sometimes unsafe his actions are of constantly replacing arrows.
    Again with the hyperbole. You're hurting your own message by repeatedly resorting to the use of "all" and "never" and "everyone" and "always." I believe you probably have some valid points, but you really need to consider how you're presenting those points.

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  9. #89

    Default

    He's definitely aggravating a lot of the cave divers down there, and he seems to have few friends.

    Not too surprising that the accusations that he's changed lines with divers in the cave may be based on inflated rumors.

    Also, not too surprising that the rumors tend to stick since nobody will defend him.

    He's really got nothing to gain by continuing to do anything -- no matter how he defends his actions, nobody will see it his way, and any vicious rumors about him will stick.

    People get excited about this issue and I've repeatedly seen references to him being "treated to a code blue" and such -- which if he keeps up changing arrows may actually happen to him irregardless if its deserved or not.

    Definitely the worst politician I've ever seen...


  10. #90
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lamont View Post
    He's definitely aggravating a lot of the cave divers down there, and he seems to have few friends.

    Not too surprising that the accusations that he's changed lines with divers in the cave may be based on inflated rumors.

    Also, not too surprising that the rumors tend to stick since nobody will defend him.

    He's really got nothing to gain by continuing to do anything -- no matter how he defends his actions, nobody will see it his way, and any vicious rumors about him will stick.

    People get excited about this issue and I've repeatedly seen references to him being "treated to a code blue" and such -- which if he keeps up changing arrows may actually happen to him irregardless if its deserved or not.

    Definitely the worst politician I've ever seen...
    That sounds likely.

    I've barely met the guy. Several of my friends like him. One of them says he's his own worst enemy.

    It's a shame that the situation is so crazy and so many people get to riled up over it. Personally, the OP seems like a plea of someone who wants the best outcome without trying to pick sides and get too wrapped up in personalities.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sad
    By imdown in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 12:34 PM
  2. Sad news in Tampa
    By K Mejean in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 07:40 AM
  3. Sad news of a friend's loss.
    By Serota in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
  4. Sad Day at Ginnie Yesterday
    By Rick Palm in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 07:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts