Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Ginnie Springs

  1. #1
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Ginnie Springs

    Have long been curious about the ginnie springs gate blocking the entrance. I have many of the details about the ga college student deaths but little real info about the cave system behind the gate (i do have the publicly available maps). In the day, preventing the untrained and ignorant from dying was clearly important and deemed critical and resulted in training and the warnings that exist today and that has worked well. However extreme death prevention examples include the dynamiting of morrison and the gate at ginnie both preventing any kind of access at all and seem a bit over the top today. I am not sure that this restriction makes sense anymore and thought i'd ask here about the history and justifications for the gate at ginnie. Also interested in cave characteristics and conditions from those that have been able to dive it. Finally would like to get some feedback regarding the costs and benefits from changing the access policy. Bill

    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  2. #2

    Default

    Great question and I look forward to the possible replies. I have read a bit about the conditions there in a couple books and have heard one or two rather limited references on the board from older divers who were there, but a broader description as well as the history and justifications for closing it off would be really interesting.

    I suspect the major issue now would be the loss of revenue that would be incurred by Ginnie Springs if the gate were removed and consequently OW diver access to the ball room had to be eliminated/prevented.

    Then there is the liability of trying to keep OW divers out after the gate was removed.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    I'm Everywhere
    Posts
    576

    Default

    If you pay my entrance fee, provide the gas, and we go in with fake names/cert cards I would be more than happy to help you cut through the bars. I like the high flow.... : )


  4. #4
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Bill, I'll PM you my instructor's name and number.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    ...loss of revenue...OW diver access to the ball room had to be eliminated/prevented.

    Then there is the liability of trying to keep OW divers out after the gate was removed.
    Ginnie is not there to provide a place to cave dive, they are there to make money. They make more money on OW divers, hands down. It will never happen.

    Besides, how many of us can credit ginnie as the place we caught the bug?


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Given the immediate proximity of the Devil's Eye system, I think the loss of Ginnie to cave divers was a small price to pay for the benefit of making a cavern open and "safe" to open water divers.

    And, yes. Ginnie is where I caught the bug.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    Ginnie is not there to provide a place to cave dive, they are there to make money. They make more money on OW divers, hands down. It will never happen.

    Besides, how many of us can credit ginnie as the place we caught the bug?
    My first ever cave or cavern dive was in the eye, and it was on my first trip to Ginnie (wreck diver looking for Cavern and Intro as some additonal training). However, on my first dive in the ballroom (months later) it was obvious that had I dove there as an OW diver, it would have lit the cave diving fire in me a lot earlier.

    In that regard it probably a money maker for cave instructors as well.


  8. #8

    Default

    We used it for training before the grate was put in. Even dived it for fun a few times. Its low and as I recall a lot of clay on the bottom.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    I suspect the major issue now would be the loss of revenue that would be incurred by Ginnie Springs if the gate were removed and consequently OW diver access to the ball room had to be eliminated/prevented.

    Then there is the liability of trying to keep OW divers out after the gate was removed.
    I've been told Ginnie doesn't make much money off cave divers. They make enough over Memorial Day weekend to pay for the entire year's expenses. Whenever I'm there on weekends cave divers represent a very small percentage of the people there, and I'll bet many of them are annual pass holders. I don't think there would be much loss of revenue by limiting access to the Ballroom, not when compared to their annual revenue.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    I've been told that on a good three day holiday weekend paying attendance exceeds 10,000 people. The horse pasture on your left along the long "Ginnie driveway" as you drive to the Ginnie store has been filled with campers; they’ve had to bus tubers in from outside the property on the busiest of holiday weekends.

    Another money maker was renting land to Coke for the well, so I was told.

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Ginnie Springs
    By tflaris in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
  2. Ginnie Springs 7 separate springs?
    By MedCop in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
  3. ginnie springs
    By deepdiver4 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
  4. ?'s about ginnie springs
    By lloyd in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 07:19 PM
  5. Ginnie Springs?
    By PacerFan577 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 08:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts