Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Age
    63
    Posts
    333

    Default Friedman sink protocol?

    I learned this past week that in order to be able to enter Manatee from Friedman sink, you have to go one time with someone who has dove that sink before. Then you're able to take others there. Just curious - can someone explain this reasoning and purpose?

    I understand doing that at some "special" systems, but this one seems strange to me.


  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chilldive View Post
    I learned this past week that in order to be able to enter Manatee from Friedman sink, you have to go one time with someone who has dove that sink before. Then you're able to take others there. Just curious - can someone explain this reasoning and purpose?

    I understand doing that at some "special" systems, but this one seems strange to me.
    Probably has something to do with the entrance occasionally being zero visibility and pretty snug until you pop into the cave.


  3. #3

    Default

    I was told a few years ago that you had to swim up to it from Catfish as well as go with someone that has entered there before. (And be full cave of course.)
    I remember my first time going down that small entrance with the visibility being almost nil and then all of a sudden seeing the cave below you. What a great feeling and I still enjoy it!
    Also, on a historical note -- Sheck found the remains of an old Spanish water jug there dating to the 1500s I believe. Maybe it was left there as part of Desoto’s trek north looking for gold but I always think about that when I dive there.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Gainesville Fl.
    Posts
    500

    Default Friedman

    I would guess that it is because the entrance is more advanced than Catfish and they feel more comfortable if someone who has dived it before is involved.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    Sheck found the remains of an old Spanish water jug there dating to the 1500s I believe. Maybe it was left there as part of Desoto’s trek north looking for gold but I always think about that when I dive there.
    Why did they stop at Friedman's to fill water jugs? Why not just go down to Manatee's headspring and get water from the bathhouse? Concession stand may have been open too. Not sure the concession stand attendee's would have accepted peseta's though. . . We are talking about upper-middle Florida.


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aw View Post
    Why did they stop at Friedman's to fill water jugs? Why not just go down to Manatee's headspring and get water from the bathhouse? Concession stand may have been open too. Not sure the concession stand attendee's would have accepted peseta's though. . . We are talking about upper-middle Florida.
    When a man's thirsty, he's thirsty...


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    They wouldn't have "stopped at Friedman's". They probably came in from the river, up the run. They found Friedman's in the woods, and thought it might be the fountain of youth

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Age
    63
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    I was told a few years ago that you had to swim up to it from Catfish as well as go with someone that has entered there before. (And be full cave of course.)
    I remember my first time going down that small entrance with the visibility being almost nil and then all of a sudden seeing the cave below you. What a great feeling and I still enjoy it!
    Also, on a historical note -- Sheck found the remains of an old Spanish water jug there dating to the 1500s I believe. Maybe it was left there as part of Desoto’s trek north looking for gold but I always think about that when I dive there.
    I've read in another thread that the notion of having to swim to Friedman is a myth or was a joke or something to that end. I was there on Friday and talked to the park personnel who check you in. They're the one's who informed of the protocol of having to dive with someone who has already done it once.

    Apparently, it's a long hike to be able to enter at Friedman's. It's long enough for this lazy boy to just put in at Catfish. I'll just add an extra stage when I want to go farther. We made 2100' past Friedman on backgas. Great dive even though the vis was a little low. Vis after Friedman got better. 50 min scootering in and 60 min swimming out - we took our time and really enjoyed checking out all the cave we could see.


  9. #9

    Default

    What about having to swim to confirm a route (and line placement) before doing a basic trust me dive following a line that you only know where it should end and not definitely, (as having not seen it with your own eyes).
    I'm not saying I've done it correctly every time but I know it is safer to...


    Quote Originally Posted by chilldive View Post
    I've read in another thread that the notion of having to swim to Friedman is a myth or was a joke or something to that end. I was there on Friday and talked to the park personnel who check you in. They're the one's who informed of the protocol of having to dive with someone who has already done it once.

    Apparently, it's a long hike to be able to enter at Friedman's. It's long enough for this lazy boy to just put in at Catfish. I'll just add an extra stage when I want to go farther. We made 2100' past Friedman on backgas. Great dive even though the vis was a little low. Vis after Friedman got better. 50 min scootering in and 60 min swimming out - we took our time and really enjoyed checking out all the cave we could see.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Age
    63
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    What about having to swim to confirm a route (and line placement) before doing a basic trust me dive following a line that you only know where it should end and not definitely, (as having not seen it with your own eyes).
    I'm not saying I've done it correctly every time but I know it is safer to...
    I think I'm more focused on the word "swim". Swimming from Catfish to Friedman is not something I would want to do when I can just grab a scooter and go. I've only dove there twice and each time the flow was pretty strong. I've swam Ginnie before - ugh. Now, I only swim out to enjoy the sights and the ride - yippee.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Survey line placement protocol
    By Angie Reim in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 05:42 AM
  2. Lost Spool at Friedman Sink, Manatee on 12/13/2006
    By Bob Cree in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 01:38 PM
  3. Blind Creek Canyon Sink, Buford Sink, Eagle's Nest
    By barney00 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 10:10 AM
  4. Friedman Flyer Miles
    By Rick Palm in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
  5. Maps Of Arch Sink, Palm Sink, Hudson Grotto, And Ward Sink
    By CaptainSpeleo in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 04:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts