What's wrong swimming to Friedman's?
Oh wait , I don't scooter.
Actually , we swam to Friedman's about 5 times this last year. THEN we went in at Friedman's.
But that's just me , you see.
Got to know the ol' Gold Line in there really well
Da Beano Baggins
P.S. As was said earlier , one of the most beautiful sites is dropping thru Friedmans , and then at about 40-50 feet ... POOF ... this HUGE cave opens up below you. Just Awesome![]()
Last edited by jeandiver; 01-13-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Oh Lord , keep us safe , ALWAYS safe , and keep ME PRUDENT , ALWAYS PRUDENT !!!
If you are doing a 1st time in Friedman's, please take note that it is a bit of a 'careful-as-you go' entrance. A mite steep & tight, but worth the effort. On a side note here, beware that large nests of 'tick's are everywhere, & you will see this on trees, bushes, & fallen logs everywhere you step-! Best to have a buddy who is familar with this entry to help you along the way.
Have a good dive.
j.
The park ranger indicated it was quite a walk to Freidmans. She thought it was like a mile. What's the scoop? How far is it? How do people typically get their gear back that far, especially scooters (or do people take scooters in at Freidmans)? It took me 3 trips just to get stages, scooter, then me geared up, to Catfish!
Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to learn.
It does help to have 2 vehicles, so you can leave one at Catfish, to drive back to get the one at Friedman's. You could walk too. It is a lot closer than Orange Grove to Peacock![]()
Both times I've gone in at Friedman I carted my tanks back to the sink. The first time there were some trees sort of low over the path that you had to duck under (not good my back wearing tanks). The last time I thought I was careful not to stray from the path and still ended up picking about 5 ticks off on the drive home. I found one that was just starting to attach while scratching an itch in an area where we guys occasionally scratch itches. I must have picked them up while I was carting gear back and forth to the sink.
There is a setup stand back at the sink. There were tons of mosquitos the last time (April 2008 ), worse than I've seen them at Peacock, but not as bad as the Everglades.
Really, really cool entry.
Mark
The next time I think we'll take my mountain bike to go back to Friedman for the car.
Last edited by Sludge; 01-14-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: removed unintended smilie
I think maybe the ranger was trying to make sure I wasn't going to go looking for the sink without following proper protocol. She made it sound like a lot of extra effort to dive Freidman. I was curious to see the sink, but they wouldn't even tell me how to get to it. Oh well, maybe next trip down.
Does anyone know who Friedman of sink and cave fame is or was?
Bookmarks