You don't do a lights out skill to train in the unlikely event of 6 light failures. You teach a lights out drill to train in the likely event of a total silt out. What's the chain of events? Diver goes oog, in the course of that chaos, either he or his buddy zeroes vis trying to get gas to the diver oog. We're not training lights out because we think you're going to have 6 lights go.
Well that makes perfect sense. Sorry, I had not thought of it that way. I am so used to having crap for visibility south of Tally.
Thanks guys, I had forgotten this. I kinda remember doing this in my class but the instructor had us cover our masks with a piece of a black trash bag held on with a rubber band so it could be removed quickly if anyone freaked.
And Oliver, as I said, I have not looked through standards in a long time, and no, I am not suggesting that anyone not meet standards.
"Have you ever noticed
When you're feeling really good
There's always a pigeon
That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020
"Into the blue again; in the silent water
Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads
It's about dealing with low to no viz and staying calm, trimmed out and able to make a good exit when it happens in real life.
I've not made the standards but they are there for a reason. It's not up to the instructor to leave stuff out just because he, you or I think a drill may not be relevant.
His agency does or should care and the instructor is not only robbing the student of the experience, he is possibly endangering him.
About a month after our cave class my buddy got into a tight sidemount tunnel, in backmount, due to bad judgement. He got stuck and the vis turned to zero.
He told me afterwards that he thought his instructor had turned off the light, until of course he realized he was on his own. He was scared as hell but remembered how he did it in training and was able to resolve it.
It took him 12 minutes to back out of that passage which for a beginner is a long time in such a stressful situation. Having done the OOA lights out drill eight times in total during our class, seemed to have helped him.
You guys are taking this too seriously. I think Pete was just trolling us with a dumb idea. He's prolly sitting back eating turkey and laughing at everyone who thought this was even remotely serious.
Just two more pages till Tony cancels his account, Gentlemen it's time to step up. Andrew, it's good to see you back.
Www.artflowslikewater.com
Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."
Bookmarks