Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Default Open water divers cave diving

    Recently I received an e-mail in the form of a complaint of someone taking unqualified divers cave diving.

    This complaint was filed with the NSS-CDS BoD. Has an investigation begun into these allegations?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    Recently I received an e-mail in the form of a complaint of someone taking unqualified divers cave diving.

    This complaint was filed with the NSS-CDS BoD. Has an investigation begun into these allegations?
    What is the NSS-CDS going to do unless this happened in one of their caves or by one of their instructors?

    And why are you not asking the NSS-CDS bod but posting on a public forum?


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    What is the NSS-CDS going to do unless this happened in one of their caves or by one of their instructors?

    And why are you not asking the NSS-CDS bod but posting on a public forum?
    There are remedies for CDS members violating generally accepted standards, such as taking non-qualified divers cave diving.

    What makes you think I have not asked the NSS-CDS BoD?


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    There are remedies for CDS members violating generally accepted standards, such as taking non-qualified divers cave diving.
    If that person is a member then expulsion might be an option. The question is what purpose that would serve or what good it would do.

    Now if NSS-CDS cards would be revocable like GUE cards...

    What makes you think I have not asked the NSS-CDS BoD?
    Unless you filed the complaint yourself, why would they even get back to you with information?


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    Well if what I have been told is true then this persons first instructor told them they should never progress past cavern. This person then went instructor shopping and hooked up with a well known CDS instructor. During the training of this diver this person was posting pictures of OW divers in the overhead. These were posted all over Facebook and a few people tried to talk to this person about it but were blocked and ignored. Their instructor knew about this but continued their training anyway. This instructor eventually issued a full cave card and I have been told it was a CDS card and you seem to confirm that. Even without the attitude of the student being wrong the skills are definitely not something that I would think would pass in most full cave classes. I seriously doubt this person could pass a GUE fundies class. Now as far as "doing something " to the diver what can you or the CDS do? Go to their house and kick the front door down and take their CDS card? You have bragged on other forums how the CDS is the premier training agency. Well I think that this is proof that you are not correct. In my opinion the CDS BoD should be going after the instructor who trained this diver. I doubt this will happen as it would probably upset the good ol boys club.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    Well if what I have been told is true then this persons first instructor told them they should never progress past cavern. This person then went instructor shopping and hooked up with a well known CDS instructor. During the training of this diver this person was posting pictures of OW divers in the overhead. These were posted all over Facebook and a few people tried to talk to this person about it but were blocked and ignored. Their instructor knew about this but continued their training anyway. This instructor eventually issued a full cave card and I have been told it was a CDS card and you seem to confirm that. Even without the attitude of the student being wrong the skills are definitely not something that I would think would pass in most full cave classes. I seriously doubt this person could pass a GUE fundies class. Now as far as "doing something " to the diver what can you or the CDS do? Go to their house and kick the front door down and take their CDS card? You have bragged on other forums how the CDS is the premier training agency. Well I think that this is proof that you are not correct. In my opinion the CDS BoD should be going after the instructor who trained this diver. I doubt this will happen as it would probably upset the good ol boys club.
    Funny, it seems a lot of "well known" instructors (ie old guys) put out crap divers. There's one in particular who has trained many current cave instructors that rarely puts out a student that can frog kick. People love him and don't say anything to him, so it keeps happening eventhough there's always jokes and comments about his students' skills at dive sites.


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Funny, it seems a lot of "well known" instructors (ie old guys) put out crap divers. There's one in particular who has trained many current cave instructors that rarely puts out a student that can frog kick. People love him and don't say anything to him, so it keeps happening eventhough there's always jokes and comments about his students' skills at dive sites.
    I appreciate the hijack.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    I appreciate the hijack.

    Wasn't really a hijack, it was a comment on a comment made and it was not directed at your teaching, just to make that clear.

    And the more action your post gets, the more likely it is to get read, so you're welcome.

    ..........and the person I'm referencing is a CDS instructor among other agencies.


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Wasn't really a hijack, it was a comment on a comment made and it was not directed at your teaching, just to make that clear.

    And the more action your post gets, the more likely it is to get read, so you're welcome.

    ..........and the person I'm referencing is a CDS instructor among other agencies.
    Okay

    I think I know who you refer to.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    Okay

    I think I know who you refer to.
    If you thought or my wording seemed to imply I was talking about you, I definitely was not. You would be on the opposite end of the spectrum for anyone who sees this in the future. I apologize if it read that way.



 

Similar Threads

  1. open water divers at jackson blue.
    By adam0321 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
  2. A letter to the open water diving community from the NACD
    By Walter Pickel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 10:18 PM
  3. PSSP is opened for cave & open water diving
    By Janet in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2005, 01:10 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 10:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts