Add North Florida Hospital in Gainesville to the list that does not accept divers in the chamber.
Add North Florida Hospital in Gainesville to the list that does not accept divers in the chamber.
Lee memorial in fort Myers had a chamber for divers I was just recompressed there in March.
This is sad. They'll treat Fido here in Gainesville, but not Diver Don.
http://smallanimal.vethospital.ufl.e...xygen-chamber/
Ken Sallot
As a foreigner, any suggestions who i can write to about getting a chamber to where it is needed? My vote doesn't count, but my tourist dollars do help local businesses in the area as well as sales tax to gov't coffers.
Guys, my understanding is DAN won't pay unless they choose the chamber and arrange the transport. So we're stuck with calling DAN first, no matter what other information we might have. And DAN says they get hold of the chamber first and make sure they'll accept you before they send you there.
I agree call DAN and make the connection,but a better educated consumer is important. I can think of two DCS cases that were type II hits that got sent to Shands by DAN, and then the victim got packaged up and sent somewhere else, which equaled a lot of lost time. As a better educated consumer you have the ability to tell DAN that Shands won't recompress me, just triage me in their ER, where is the second choice.
"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick
On the topic of calling DAN, during my event I contacted DAN at 2am and was immediately placed through to the dive medic on call. After speaking with her for a few minutes she put me on a brief hold and then told me that Orlando or West Palm (I beleive) were the only two 24 hour chambers near me. We then decided based on time and distance and that my symptoms were not life threatening it would be best to go to a local er for confirmation of dcs, by then the chamber at lee memorial would be open and I could transfer there. DAN pretty much left the choice up to me if I wanted to go to one of the 24 hour chambers immediately or wait. I didn't feel any pressure to make a decision one way or another.
Bookmarks