Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Advice

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Covington, Georgia
    Posts
    31

    Default Advice

    Purchased my first drysuit any advice on which P valve to install and which is the best condom cath. to use.


    Tks


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SW Florida
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    I have the Light Monkey balanced. It has worked great so far. It started to leak but a cheap valve fixed that. As for catheters, Rochester Widebands.

    It's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    I'd go LM Unbalanced Pee Valve. And Rochester Wide Bands.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    one says balanced, one says unbalanced. Any reasoning for the two choices? external catheters are basically of two kinds also: the adhesive as part of the catheter or a separate band that is wrapped after donning the catheter. I know the ones with adhesive already on them won't "stick" well if you are sweaty before putting it on! Never tried the ones with the adhesive band.

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    172

    Default Advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    I'd go LM Unbalanced Pee Valve. And Rochester Wide Bands.
    +1

    I prefer more adhered area to prevent leaks and every unbalanced valve I tried eventually leaked.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Get a p valve with a screw open. Don't get one with the little duck bill balancing mechanism in the valve body. I've had and heard of so many failures in those that basically everyone I know just glued those shut. Still works fine if you just prime the pump in a few feet of water before you dive.


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlyte27 View Post
    I'd go LM Unbalanced Pee Valve. And Rochester Wide Bands.
    +2.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    1. you can go with a p-valve with a detachable hose, or one that does not detach. The idea here is that if you aren't using it, you can remove it. Also easier to replace if you ever need to.
    2.you can go with balanced or unbalanced. Balanced means that it equalizes the air pressure in the tube and prevents squeeze (but that means you plan to go pretty deep - trimix diving). Unbalanced does not equalize. When you pee, it won't make much difference - the tube fills with urine, which doesn't compress much!
    3. you can go with one that has a bolt or one that does not. All have a check valve to prevent back-leaking and flooding the catheter and/or drysuit. The bolt is there in case the check valve fails. But of course you must loosen the bolt before peeing. Some have said the bolt holes are too small and tend to create back-pressure. So if when you go you really go, the bolt might not be a good idea (although you can put it in and take it out whenever you want - no need to dive with it in every dive every time).
    4. you can go with a larger flat "button" on the outside, or a smaller taller button on the outside. Sidemount/nomount, you may want the lower profile (which is boltless).
    5. purchase three sizes of external catheters and try them on. I like to carry a few XXXL size for when a buddy asks to borrow one.

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    I've never met anyone with a balanced that didn't leak. I had two. Within weeks of getting them, I spent dives pee'ing all over myself. I went unbalanced and haven't had an issue since.


  10. #10

    Default

    I'd go Steve Gamble unbalanced. I have had his in many suits over the years. All good.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Need some advice on where to go
    By Capt. Tyler in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts