I heard a rumor that Peacock Springs is about to be re-named in honor of the late Wes Skiles. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Brian
I heard a rumor that Peacock Springs is about to be re-named in honor of the late Wes Skiles. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Brian
http://www.lakecityjournal.com/main....ArticleID=6763
11/5/2010 8:33:00 PM
Ceremony November 16 to rename Peacock Springs State Park to honor Wes Skiles
LIVE OAK - The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Florida Park Service will host a special naming event at Peacock Springs State Park in Live Oak on Tuesday, November 16, at 11:00 a.m.
Peacock Springs State Park will be renamed in honor of Wes Skiles, world-class explorer, cinematographer and photographer, who passed away earlier this year.
Skiles’ legacy includes a passion for the protection Florida’s springs, cave exploration, a vast understanding of the Floridan aquifer and superb educational and adventurous science films.
For more information on Florida’s state parks, visit www.floridastateparks.org.
This event will take place:
Tuesday, November 16,
11 a.m.
Peacock Springs State Park
Park Entrance Located on 180th Street
Off of State Road 51
Live Oak
(386) 362-2746
I![]()
Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010
Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese
My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!
Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.
So the State Park will be renamed, but the springs and slough will retain their name?
The announcement has an air of secrecy to it, are they releasing the plan before they have the ceremony?
This is a fantastic way to memorialize Wes, kudos to Florida state parks!
Cool idea. What will the new name be?
Wes Skiles State Park
Wes Skiles Springs State Park
Just curious as it was not clear from the article.
Cheers,
Jeff
Maybe it'll be like Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park... Skiles Peacock State Park or something?
I think its a great tribute, especially if the entrances all retain their names.
Well done Florida! What a fitting tribute to Wes for all of his accomplishments and work.
Thanks for the info.
Brian
excellent news
Www.artflowslikewater.com
Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."
Excellent idea! I'm guessing the park brochure and website will get blurbs explaining the significance of the name, which would make it even better. Kudos to whoever came up with such a great idea.
1/2
__________________________________________________ ___________________
The last thing I ever want to do is hurt you. But it's definitely on the list.
Bookmarks