I heard a rumor that Peacock Springs is about to be re-named in honor of the late Wes Skiles. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Brian
I heard a rumor that Peacock Springs is about to be re-named in honor of the late Wes Skiles. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?
Brian
http://www.lakecityjournal.com/main....ArticleID=6763
11/5/2010 8:33:00 PM
Ceremony November 16 to rename Peacock Springs State Park to honor Wes Skiles
LIVE OAK - The Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Florida Park Service will host a special naming event at Peacock Springs State Park in Live Oak on Tuesday, November 16, at 11:00 a.m.
Peacock Springs State Park will be renamed in honor of Wes Skiles, world-class explorer, cinematographer and photographer, who passed away earlier this year.
Skiles’ legacy includes a passion for the protection Florida’s springs, cave exploration, a vast understanding of the Floridan aquifer and superb educational and adventurous science films.
For more information on Florida’s state parks, visit www.floridastateparks.org.
This event will take place:
Tuesday, November 16,
11 a.m.
Peacock Springs State Park
Park Entrance Located on 180th Street
Off of State Road 51
Live Oak
(386) 362-2746
I![]()
Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010
Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese
My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!
Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.
So the State Park will be renamed, but the springs and slough will retain their name?
The announcement has an air of secrecy to it, are they releasing the plan before they have the ceremony?
This is a fantastic way to memorialize Wes, kudos to Florida state parks!
Cool idea. What will the new name be?
Wes Skiles State Park
Wes Skiles Springs State Park
Just curious as it was not clear from the article.
Cheers,
Jeff
I will be the second to object. Let's see if I get this correct. If I become famous and don't follow the same rules as else follows, make an error and buy the gun, what spring will they name after me?
Yes, Wes was a great guy, but aren't they just jumping the gun a little? Just my two cents. Of course to name a spring after Wes is more appropriate than say some nobody politico.
Dale
An independent diver.
Maybe it'll be like Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park... Skiles Peacock State Park or something?
I think its a great tribute, especially if the entrances all retain their names.
Well done Florida! What a fitting tribute to Wes for all of his accomplishments and work.
Thanks for the info.
Brian
Bookmarks