Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Winterville, NC
    Age
    57
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Laughrey View Post
    a search through the accident files will answer your question about did it happen or not. I do know that many years ago there was an open water diver fatality (memory tells me double fatality) at P1 - complete silt out, lost and running out of air in the cavern. This brings us to...
    i'm not quite sure about this. i haven't had any luck with searching with a purpose, just random reading. i'm glad they're up in any way, shape, or form, but i haven't found them very searchable.

    proud cave tourist!

  2. #22
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post

    IMHO best for that side would be a rail to block the giant stride, and entry only from the side because the limits of the OW part but who am I to say. I am glad there are stairs.
    Putting a rail up patches a symptom. (Divers doing a giant stride without looking)

    It does nothing to solve the problem. (Inconsiderate and possibly poorly trained divers)

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    I have read things like: “Why would someone run a line in the Ear on busy weekend when there are already 6 reels in place, ridiculous".
    Always running a line is one thing. Running a line so that it becomes an impediment or danger to others is another.

    One of the things that is (or should be) taught in cave class is to recognize when adding another line would become an impediment to others. Lines already in place have the right of way and it is your responsibility to run yours in a way not to interfere with the others.

    If you can't run a reel without doing so it is your responsibility to call the dive and come back when you can run your reel without interfering with others.


  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyDuck View Post
    i'm not quite sure about this. i haven't had any luck with searching with a purpose, just random reading. i'm glad they're up in any way, shape, or form, but i haven't found them very searchable.
    I've had luck using Google's "site search" to find things here that I can't find using the built in search. However, searching IUCRR's site for "Peacock" doesn't find it.

    http://www.google.com/search?rls=ig&...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

    -Tom


  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Always running a line is one thing. Running a line so that it becomes an impediment or danger to others is another.

    One of the things that is (or should be) taught in cave class is to recognize when adding another line would become an impediment to others. Lines already in place have the right of way and it is your responsibility to run yours in a way not to interfere with the others.
    I think you are twisting the message a bit. I am talking about giving the evil eye to someone who might not be perfect but wants to run their own line in places that someone else thinks it’s futile. Not talking about creating spider webs or not being responsible. I have been to site where there was one reel in and that line was a hazard to everyone (and it wasn’t a line by a newbie judging by the deco bottles either). It was very hard to run ANY line around it in any sensible way, several distinguished divers muttered about it. Clueless and rude people tend not to care – or maybe running a line certain way is a clever way of getting the cave for yourself for the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    If you can't run a reel without doing so it is your responsibility to call the dive and come back when you can run your reel without interfering with others.
    One could interpret that quite negatively on a bad day.


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Unfortunately, deco bottles have nothing to do with experience. Lots of newbie divers are jumping into dives that are way beyond their experience level. But that's a whole other thread...

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    Unfortunately, deco bottles have nothing to do with experience. Lots of newbie divers are jumping into dives that are way beyond their experience level. But that's a whole other thread...
    True, I should not even assume they weren't Intro level cave divers as nobody is stopping anyone dragging bottles there or someone else entering without laying a line


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pugetropolis
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    I think you are twisting the message a bit. I am talking about giving the evil eye to someone who might not be perfect but wants to run their own line in places that someone else thinks it’s futile. Not talking about creating spider webs or not being responsible. I have been to site where there was one reel in and that line was a hazard to everyone (and it wasn’t a line by a newbie judging by the deco bottles either). It was very hard to run ANY line around it in any sensible way, several distinguished divers muttered about it. Clueless and rude people tend not to care – or maybe running a line certain way is a clever way of getting the cave for yourself for the day
    Brings a question to mind ...

    I understand that the rule is you don't mess with someone else's line, but if someone's run a line in such a way that it's a hazard to other divers, would it not be reasonable to just reroute it a bit to remove the hazard potential? I mean, if you're leaving it there, and if they can follow it out when they return, what's the issue?

    Or is that simply not something you'd ever consider doing? And if not, why not?

    ... Bob (Grateful Diver)


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ft. White , Florida
    Posts
    894

    Default

    As for myself....
    I NEVER touch another person's line etc...
    Even if it's blowing in the wind , so to speak.
    (I guess that comes from my instructors and mentors , NOT TO TOUCH another person's gear/stuff etc...Unless of course , it's an emergency)

    But that's just me. I always try to make sure my tie-offs etc are good and tight. Actually , I was working with Cindy the other night practicing tie-ing off to the sides of the tunnel (in the catacombs) , keeping the line off of the floor etc.

    I am always trying to learn new things. (not new to others , new to myself)

    To all: thanks so much for such an interesting thread. At least for me , it helps me rethink things and keeps me MORE PRUDENT.

    Jean

    P.S. I don't dive Ginnie a lot , but I have seen some pretty nasty spagetti lines in the Ear. I'll leave the rest alone for now , since I don't dive the cave system that much to comment further.

    Oh Lord , keep us safe , ALWAYS safe , and keep ME PRUDENT , ALWAYS PRUDENT !!!

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver View Post
    Brings a question to mind ...

    I understand that the rule is you don't mess with someone else's line, but if someone's run a line in such a way that it's a hazard to other divers, would it not be reasonable to just reroute it a bit to remove the hazard potential? I mean, if you're leaving it there, and if they can follow it out when they return, what's the issue?

    Or is that simply not something you'd ever consider doing? And if not, why not?
    I would like more discussion on this too.

    As for myself, I have touched another person's line already. It was flapping in the wind in the MIDDLE of the Eye, slack. If anybody, myself included had to make a hasty emergency exit through there it would have been a huge entanglement hazard. So while putting our own line in, we tidied that line in by pulling it under couple of rocks making sure it could be followed blind if anyone needed to. During my course I was taught to avoid touching others stuff but also not leave obvious safety hazards in cave.

    I did not know what to heck to do with one line in P1 though. It was laid like a humongous Z. It was like someone first thought to go to Pothole side starting the line in OW from the Peanut side, then in the end changed their mind and zagged over to Peanut line anyway. It was pretty much impossible for anyone not to cross it because it covered the whole opening. In the end we did what everyone else did and just rudely crossed it because I am not comfortable taking someone’s whole handiwork out and redoing it.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Looks like we're up an running
    By Line Squirrel in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM
  2. Running primary at Little River...or not
    By crawford in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 09:18 AM
  3. He Running Low?
    By jdsffa in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2006, 02:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts