Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okinawa JP
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    we shoot our students ( military dive school) up with afrin. but there is a trick to taking it. you have to get on your knees snort it and rotate your head on the ground from side to side. no joke


  2. #12
    mfascuba
    Guest

    Default

    I had a reverse block in my sinuses a couple years ago at Jackson Blue that scared the crap outta me - the doctor at the hospital told me to use Afrin. Now if I have any issues, I take a 12 hr sudafed (the real stuff that you have to sign for) and 12 hr Afrin an hour or two before I dive, no more issues. Generally I take both as I'm pulling onto the road on the way out of the driveway, got a few hours to get everything working as needed.

    Mark


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Homeless, USA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    276

    Default

    A fellow diver died from Afrin not too long ago. Afrin was recommended by DAN as "safe" to used for diving, however it is proven to increase your susceptibility to oxtox. Being in the military you're considered expendable, but I prefer to live another day to dive. The caves aren't going anywhere that it's worth risking a possible oxtox episode.

    Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    we shoot our students ( military dive school) up with afrin. but there is a trick to taking it. you have to get on your knees snort it and rotate your head on the ground from side to side. no joke


  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdenney View Post
    A fellow diver died from Afrin not too long ago. ... however it is proven to increase your susceptibility to oxtox.
    Details please. Facts preferably, rather than hearsay.

    Andy


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Okinawa JP
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    yeah that is news to me I am going to try to not sound cocky hear but our dmo's ( dive medical officers ) and master divers (not dive masters) wrote the books and dive manuals that most other books were written off of on what is safe and they recomend and approve it for use. And I can assure you in training we do not take an "well he is only an e-2 so he is expendable" approach. and before you guys say it I am not saying the military is the end all of diving athourity quite obviously there are many aspects of diving we do not touch(over head) but it takes alot for something to get approved for military use.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Miami
    Posts
    346

    Default decongestants

    My left eistachian tube has an abnormally small opening. In order to dive at all, I start taking NASALCHROME 24 hours before the dive. Just before the dive (suited up but tanks still on the stand) I squirt physiological saline through each nostril and spit it out to wash mucus away from the openings of the eustachian tubes. This works 19 times out of 20.
    I have tried PROPLUGS, and I do not recomend them. A small mistake in inserting them can cause serious permanent hearing loss.

    "I like to do dangerous things safely."

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    yeah that is news to me I am going to try to not sound cocky hear but our dmo's ( dive medical officers ) and master divers (not dive masters) wrote the books and dive manuals that most other books were written off of on what is safe and they recomend and approve it for use. And I can assure you in training we do not take an "well he is only an e-2 so he is expendable" approach. and before you guys say it I am not saying the military is the end all of diving athourity quite obviously there are many aspects of diving we do not touch(over head) but it takes alot for something to get approved for military use.
    No one is "expendable" in my book...

    Ed Thalmann was a USN CAPT... You cannot compare your diving to sport diving. You guys have loads of surface support that include a DMO, a chamber, etc...
    The article says that there is a possibility that ingredients in decongestants may be linked to oxtox..

    BTW, aviators are not allowed to use decongestants...they end up grounded...

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I have used 12-hour spray Afrin on several occasions 1-2 hours prior to the dive and have had no issues, complications or side-effects. I cleared fine and never had even a hint of a reverse blockage. I have used it on both nitrox and mix dives.

    I had discussed using it with DAN and they were fine with it.

    Dave Grimm


    Now there was only me and this timeless, eternal cave. I felt part of things, a tolerant guest.
    by Rob Palmer from "Deep Into Blue Holes"

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I would recommend not to take any sort of decongestant prior to diving... You run the risk of being trapped underwater if the effects of the medication reverse during the dive, I have had this happen to a friend and he ruptured both ear drums on the ascent. Not a pleasant experience. The active ingredients ( in all of your over the counter or "D" drugs, (Claritin D, Sudafed, Zyrtec D, etc) can cause a lot of side effects underwater that are bad ju ju. For example: Blurred vision, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, nose, or throat, excitability, headache, increased sweating, loss of appetite, nausea, nervousness or anxiety, trouble sleeping, upset stomach, vomiting and weakness. These can continue or go down according to which brand you are using.

    The most advisable thing to do when congested is not to dive. I am no Doctor, I work in a pharmacy and know my drugs very well so take my advise as you will.

    If I have made any mistakes, I know there are a few Doctor's on the board, please correct me.

    -Tony DC

    _____________________________

    "Cave diving is deceptively simple."

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDCaver View Post
    I would recommend not to take any sort of decongestant prior to diving... You run the risk of being trapped underwater if the effects of the medication reverse during the dive, I have had this happen to a friend and he ruptured both ear drums on the ascent. Not a pleasant experience. The active ingredients ( in all of your over the counter or "D" drugs, (Claritin D, Sudafed, Zyrtec D, etc) can cause a lot of side effects underwater that are bad ju ju. For example: Blurred vision, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, nose, or throat, excitability, headache, increased sweating, loss of appetite, nausea, nervousness or anxiety, trouble sleeping, upset stomach, vomiting and weakness. These can continue or go down according to which brand you are using.

    The most advisable thing to do when congested is not to dive. I am no Doctor, I work in a pharmacy and know my drugs very well so take my advise as you will.

    If I have made any mistakes, I know there are a few Doctor's on the board, please correct me.

    -Tony DC
    I will take the advice and when I get congested stay out of the water.
    I have never taken any decongestants before to dive but it seems like a really bad idea.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts