Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Default Nasal Decongestants

    I have always wondered about this, it is summer and I occasionally get blocked sinuses to were I get a squeeze and cant really go below like 6-7mtrs, I have always opted to not dive till my sinuses clear as I got caught once after a yoyo profile and almost had to stay in an air pocket. I have missed a few dive opportunities due to this and I was wondering about using stuff like Afrin or Sudafed pills before diving, does this kind of stuff really work? or would it end up worse?
    Thanks


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cam, Gloucstershire, England/Nice france
    Posts
    209

    Default

    THis is something I put on the CDG board a while ago In reality if you have a problem with the ears best not dive until it is sorted out although sometimes it is hard not to try and dive

    Vicks Sinex contains 0.05% w/v oxymetazoline hydrochloride.

    It also contains sodium citrate dihydrate, tyloxapol, citric acid anhydrous, chlorhexidine digluconate, menthol, benzalkonium chloride, camphor, disodium edetate, eucalyptol, sodium, hydroxide and purified water.

    Also contains oxymetazoline hydrochloride

    Possible Side-Effects
    Most people have no side-effects with Vicks Sinex



    ************************************************** ***********************************

    Sudafed 12 Hour Relief

    The product contains the active ingredient: Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 120 mg per tablet.

    It also contains: Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (E464), magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose (E460), povidone, titanium dioxide (E171), polyethylene glycol, candellila wax and purified water.

    Possible Side-Effects
    Side-effects are not common with Non-drowsy Sudafed 12 Hour Relief tablets and when they occur they are usually mild and temporary.

    Some people feel restless or have trouble getting to sleep. A few people have bad dreams or hallucinations .

    Occasionally people get skin rashes that are sometimes itchy. A few men, especially men with prostate problems may have more trouble passing water.


    Sudafed Congestion Relief

    Each capsule contains: Phenylephrine hydrochloride 12 mg

    Other ingredients: Lactose, maize starch, pregelatinised maize starch, magnesium stearate.

    Gelatin capsule includes: E104 quinoline yellow, E171 titanium dioxide. Printing ink: E172 black iron oxide, shellac, soya lecithin, silicone.


    Avoid alcohol

    If symptoms do not go away talk to your doctor

    This medicine may cause fast heart rate, changes in heart rhythm, palpitations, high blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, headache and occasionally urine retention in males.

    Decongestant Nasal Spray



    Contains Xylometazoline hydrochloride

    Non-Drowsy Sudafed Decongestant Nasal Spray
    The product contains the active ingredient: Xylometazoline hydrochloride 0.1% w/v.

    It also contains: Benzalkonium chloride, disodium edetate, sodium dihydrogen phosphate, sodium monohydrogen phosphate, sodium chloride, sorbitol solution, purified water.
    Possible side effects
    Side effects are not common with this product and when they occur they are usually mild and temporary. Occasionally Xylometazoline hydrochloride may cause local burning, soreness, dryness, irritation, stinging, itching or sneezing. Nausea and headache may rarely occur. Prolonged continuous use may occasionally cause rebound congestion.


    Non-Drowsy Sudafed Decongestant Elixir
    This product contains the active ingredient: Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg per 5ml.

    It also contains: Citric acid monohydrate, sucrose, glycerol, methyl hydroxybenzoate (E218), sodium benzoate (E211), Ponceau 4R (E124), raspberry flavour and water.


    Possible side-effects
    Side-effects are not common with this product and when they do occur they are usually mild and temporary.

    Some people feel restless or have trouble getting to sleep. A few people have bad dreams or hallucinations but this is rare.

    Occasionally people get skin rashes that are sometimes itchy. A few men, especially men with prostate problems may have more trouble passing water.



    Andrew


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Phil,

    Here is a link to an article written by Dr Ed Thalmann on using Sudafed and Diving, well worth the read. Additionally, consider that nasal sprays, while used topically, can and will result in systemic absortion as well (like cocaine....).

    http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...p?articleid=51

    Hope this helps answer your question.

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  4. #4

    Default

    Go to yout doctor and ask for entex


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
    ..... I got caught once after a yoyo profile and almost had to stay in an air pocket.....
    I think you answered your own question. Besides the problems using any drug under pressure, you always run the risk of getting down, and the problem returning before the end of the dive, thus trapping you in the water.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Entex contains phenylephrine... see link for information:

    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...s/a606008.html

    possible side effects similar to pseudoephedrine (sudafed)...

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Homeless, USA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Most sinus medications will increase your susceptibility to ox-tox. Lay off the dairy products for awhile (milk, yogurt, etc), take some real sudafed (the stuff you have to sign for saying you're not running a meth-lab), and stay dry until your sinuses get clear before going diving.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default tympanic membrane ruptures

    the major problem with drugs and diving, in my opinion, is the reverse block of the eustachian tube on ascent. I've blown the eardrum three times now because I just could not not dive. the drugs worked, but did not last as long, or maybe it was user error. each time you rupture the tympanic membrane, it grows back thinner than before. if it grows back at all. I spent a year diving with doc pro plugs, a mask with ear cups, and eardrum skin graft surgery scheduled. It was not a fun year.

    -skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Palmetto, FL
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I've been having some sinus/allergy/respirtory problems for years and tried all the drugs the doctors prescribed for allergy and asthma until I had enough. I went off everything and started taking Sudaphed PE sinus/allergy(green box). Now I take 2 in the morning and repeat during allergy season.


  10. #10

    Default flonase

    http://www.flonase.com/
    I use flonase. It was mention by DAN as safe for use diving. I have used it on 100+ dives with no side effects. I use it the night before then in morning before i dive.

    and my wife works for GSK.

    Russel


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts