Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Durham, NC, USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Lo thesis

    You all might find this an interesting read...

    Lo, RCY. 2006. Personal and Social Dimensions of Risky Diving Behaviour. Honours Thesis. University of Melbourne. RRR ID: 7594

    http://rubicon-foundation.org/
    Home of the Rubicon Research Repository.
    For help getting started with the Repository, please visit our FAQ page. PLEASE support our work.

    "Oxygen is addictive and deadly. Everyone who uses it will eventually die" --RW Hamilton, PhD 1991

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default survey

    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06 View Post
    Why males only?

    Dive safe,

    Celia
    My feelings exactly. Unless, of course, your hypothesis contains a bias. What is it, BTW?
    Barbara/San Francisco


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default night people?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    Ya'll should have come to the Workshop and listened to Bill O's talk. My take away (corporate speak, see other thread), was that there is nothing to find. He said about all he could say was that cave divers were night people. So he took an audience vote. About 3:1 morning people.

    Barbara, I believe you (as I sit here at 3:30am PDT, jet lagged from my trip home. Hope you got home OK as well. When are we going boat stealing again?

    BTW, there is a psychiatrist who studies diving and the effects of panic---David Colvard, MD. I think he is hooked up with DAN. If you ever see him on a dive boat, he has the goofiest fins I've ever seen (the blades flip up so he can walk in them). Anyway, the poster here should check out David's pubs and also look at the Undersea Hyperbaric Medical Society's archives to see if this work has been done and if so, what can be added.

    Cheers,
    Barbara/San Francisco


  4. #24
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavedivingwoman View Post
    Barbara, I believe you (as I sit here at 3:30am PDT, jet lagged from my trip home. Hope you got home OK as well. When are we going boat stealing again?

    BTW, there is a psychiatrist who studies diving and the effects of panic---David Colvard, MD. I think he is hooked up with DAN. If you ever see him on a dive boat, he has the goofiest fins I've ever seen (the blades flip up so he can walk in them). Anyway, the poster here should check out David's pubs and also look at the Undersea Hyperbaric Medical Society's archives to see if this work has been done and if so, what can be added.

    Cheers,
    Barbara/San Francisco
    Hi Barbara, I had NOTHING to do with boat stealing! It's not my fault your boat was stolen, and I just happened to be riding it.

    I figure Bill O has as much handle on the concepts as anyone. And even his presentation didn't come to any conclusion that made much sense to me.

    When we went to Huautla, the U of TX, Galveston tried to do a study of us as proxies for who would go into space. The only thing that seemed to make any sense was their study of sleep. We had to keep sleep logs. Only Ian and I were very diligent at it. A few years after our expedition, they published a paper. It seemed extremely contrived--they didn't have enough data that made sense, so they made an interpretation that they thought worked. But it didn't seem right to us.


  5. #25
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    Hi Barbara, I had NOTHING to do with boat stealing! It's not my fault your boat was stolen, and I just happened to be riding it.

    I figure Bill O has as much handle on the concepts as anyone. And even his presentation didn't come to any conclusion that made much sense to me.

    When we went to Huautla, the U of TX, Galveston tried to do a study of us as proxies for who would go into space. The only thing that seemed to make any sense was their study of sleep. We had to keep sleep logs. Only Ian and I were very diligent at it. A few years after our expedition, they published a paper. It seemed extremely contrived--they didn't have enough data that made sense, so they made an interpretation that they thought worked. But it didn't seem right to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedivingwoman View Post
    My feelings exactly. Unless, of course, your hypothesis contains a bias. What is it, BTW?
    Barbara/San Francisco
    Actually, as I think about it, he might assume (perhaps rightly) that there aren't very many women in cave diving, and that the statistics wouldn't be meaningful without a higher population to sample from. Certainly there are differences between men and women, so he might want to keep them separate.


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    246 Bubbleless Cove
    Posts
    390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    Actually, as I think about it, he might assume (perhaps rightly) that there aren't very many women in cave diving, and that the statistics wouldn't be meaningful without a higher population to sample from. Certainly there are differences between men and women, so he might want to keep them separate.
    No, the reason for that is probably that when men cave dive, they are macho and cool. When women cave dive, they are crazy and irrational. We all know you can not get solid answers from crazy and irrational people...

    Meng Tze
    -Homo Bonae Voluntatis

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MengTze View Post
    No, the reason for that is probably that when men cave dive, they are macho and cool. When women cave dive, they are crazy and irrational. We all know you can not get solid answers from crazy and irrational people...
    Really? So how come it's the males that end up in the obituary section?

    Just kidding (maybe not...).

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  8. #28
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MengTze View Post
    No, the reason for that is probably that when men cave dive, they are macho and cool. When women cave dive, they are crazy and irrational. We all know you can not get solid answers from crazy and irrational people...
    I resemble that remark!


  9. #29
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MengTze View Post
    No, the reason for that is probably that when men cave dive, they are macho and cool. When women cave dive, they are crazy and irrational. We all know you can not get solid answers from crazy and irrational people...


    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amphipod06 View Post
    Why males only?

    Dive safe,

    Celia
    I asked about this, and found ot that the surveymonkey web site has a built in cootie filter, and girls (who are known carriers of cooties) cant get past the filter.

    BTW, why would anyone spend their time on a site called surveymonkey. Monkey's cant survey hell, they cant even level the transit.

    "Have you ever noticed
    When you're feeling really good
    There's always a pigeon
    That'll come shiat on your hood?" John Prine 4-7-2020

    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads


 

Similar Threads

  1. "Side Mount Cave diving"
    By akioMtFuji in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 09:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts