Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Manns Choice,PA
    Posts
    253

    Default Bomb

    Hey Mike, everyone seems to have forgotten but Bill Reneker had a lady killed in his shop about 3-5 years ago filling an alum tank of the old alloy. You should be able to find the thread here somewhere. about july 03, maybe 04


  2. #22
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    filling an alum tank of the old alloy
    That's not correct. She dropped an aluminum cylinder (filled with 100% oxygen) on the concrete, valve-first.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmcauliffe View Post
    I hate to admit that I actually owned and drove a '73 Pinto (I could be off on the exact year) at one time. If y'all remember there was a pretty serious recall on these "bombs". I could fill'er up on Monday and after driving all week, still have enough for a sizable explosion.
    I owned and drove a 1971 Pinto for 10 yrs. Would have been longer but someone ran a red light and hit me. I was devistated at the time.

    roadkill

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default AL 72's

    I had a pair as doubles, I loved them for ocean solo dives. They sat for a year full to 3300, normal for S.Fla. I used them on a dive. Before Fill express would refill Mark did a VIP. WELL.... each one had 5-6 crackes mostly where they curved at the top. So a friend cut off the top on one of them which Mark uses as a teaching tool and Ricky uses in the shop to hold valves when he workes on them. The bottom is in my kitchen with fake flowers.

    roadkill

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    That's not correct. She dropped an aluminum cylinder (filled with 100% oxygen) on the concrete, valve-first.
    Even so. it was not worth the money saved 'just' in case the alloy was NOT the problem. This is one of those cases that being cheap is penny wise but dollar foolish. I've purged my stock. Why bother with something that is so easily and cheaply corrected. We all KNOW that we pay far more for other necessities associated with this type of diving. It's comparatively nothing to replace the questionable tanks. Get over it. Move on.


  6. #26
    Cave & Technical Diver Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Current thread over at scubatoys - the OP *****ing about someone not filling his tanks

    http://forum.scubatoys.com/complaint...ill-tanks.html
    I know larry refuses to fill these tanks at his shop

    if ( $clue == 'none' ) { read ( sig & avatar rules | forum rules ) && search ( forums | google ) }
    if ( $answer == 0 ) { post->question }


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Get rid of them

    The going price for AL80s is $115-$150 What is you or the your shop worth. Dive Station in Orlando had one go overnight and took out a wall and other stuff. Salvage on an old tank is about $15-$18 and no one gets hurt.


  8. #28

    Default hi

    Excellent points. Thank you.

    ...........................
    Chamika
    srilanka latest news


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    918

    Default

    We got rid of ours after the incident at Rennaker's. We probably would have done so earlier but that was the first time the details on the alloy and it's faults came to light and I read some documentation on it.

    VIP+ was invented because of those tanks / alloy. It is a requirement to keep them in service. Other Aluminum tanks VIP+ is a good idea but not required (if I understand correctly).

    I wouldn't blame someone for refusing to fill ANY tank they had doubts about. That should include any of those old tanks IMO. I wouldn't want to fill them myself and I wouldn't ask anyone else to either. It's not worth the risk and replacement is cheap.


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Too bad this thread was so late getting started. Luxfer had a recall on the older tanks a few years ago, and was taking them in exchange for new tanks for only $50. That included a DIN valve with "donut". Heck, the valve was worth almost $50!

    FWIW, I replaced all four of my stages at that time.

    Last edited by FW; 08-02-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts