Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cave near mtl

  1. #1

    Default Cave near mtl

    hi


    somebody know some cave around 5 hour max of montreal, canada to dive?


    thanks


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marc.collin View Post
    hi


    somebody know some cave around 5 hour max of montreal, canada to dive?


    thanks
    There are some in New York state. Not great, but closer than Florida. IIRC, there are some a little west of you in Canada. I think they are in the Eramosa Karst area, in Ontario. http://ontariocaves.com/eramosakarst.htm

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    651

    Default

    There are tons of passages under the Ottawa River. Shallow, very low visibility, high flow, and quite serious undertakings
    http://hwtproject.ca/ottawa-river-sh...s-discoveries/

    At one time you could dive the back mine. Perhaps inquire with some of the Ottawa area divers if this is still possible as it appears to be closed
    http://www.capitalgems.ca/wallingford-back-mine.html


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Not a cave but there is Esperanza in Rutland, VT where I dive frequently. It's an old marble mine. Unfortunately due to runoff/melting the visibility has been very poor this winter but it's fresh water and dive-able.

    There are a lot of Quebec divers I've met randomly that have made day / weekend trips to dive here.


  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    There are some in New York state. Not great, but closer than Florida. IIRC, there are some a little west of you in Canada. I think they are in the Eramosa Karst area, in Ontario. http://ontariocaves.com/eramosakarst.htm
    Which caves are you referring to, Forrest?


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Which caves are you referring to, Forrest?
    I don't recall the names. They were dived by Dr. David Sawatzky and Ric Browning. i think the names were something like "Pool 1".

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I don't recall the names. They were dived by Dr. David Sawatzky and Ric Browning. i think the names were something like "Pool 1".
    Hmmm- never heard of it. I have several project sumps I've been working in NY for a few years, but most require a team of sherpas and a few hours of gear hauling to access.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    the eramosa (20-30min drive range) stuff is up the road from me i assume. i read some stories but never sought or checked anything. I think its mostly wiggle dry/wet stuff that does not go much.

    i wish i had captured the info


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Which caves are you referring to, Forrest?
    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I don't recall the names. They were dived by Dr. David Sawatzky and Ric Browning. i think the names were something like "Pool 1".
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Hmmm- never heard of it. I have several project sumps I've been working in NY for a few years, but most require a team of sherpas and a few hours of gear hauling to access.
    My last post was about Canada, not NY. However, I don't recall the names of the NY caves either.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Palm Coast FL
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Hmmm- never heard of it. I have several project sumps I've been working in NY for a few years, but most require a team of sherpas and a few hours of gear hauling to access.
    about where? I'm in Fairport



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts