This concept is silly, just like having this conversation without naming names and talking about details.
For instance, you're known to be somewhat emotionally volatile, to the point where you have done some pretty crazy things.
I don't trust you or particularly want to interact, folk that behave like you do are usually best to avoid imo.
Are you saying that we should be critical of a specific local instructor because he certified some folks that have died?
Because that's exactly how I take your post, if I'm wrong, and I have been divorced so I am totally fine with being wrong, please correct.
Cave diving is a big boy adult activity, instructors teach a skill and that's it, looking to them to mentor and guide adults after class is ridiculous.
I know as instructors you feel some deeper connection, maybe feel responsible for some events, but if you didn't teach something totally incorrectly just get over yourself.
You are just teaching a skill, like driving, you aren't becoming someones parent.
Patting yourself on the back because you don't have a death shows nothing except your penchant for misguided correlations in life.
Instructors can filter based on some behavior, maybe you'll catch some goofs, but most are on their best behavior during class and then do as they will after.
It's just a fact, you aren't changing anyone during cave class nor are you particularly adept at psychological evaluation and behavior correction.
If the skills were taught correctly, then it's the person and their choices, every single time.
Personal responsibility is the answer. Not your spreadsheet.


Reply With Quote


Bookmarks