Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wetumpka, Al
    Posts
    448

    Default Nominations being accepted

    The ASA is now accepting nominations for the Outstanding Achievement Award. Think about who you would like to nominate and let us know so the board can vote on it. There were some major explorations this year that I personally like, such as Phantom Springs and Twin Dee's so Brett Hemphill or team KUR would get my attention. Help us out and give us some suggestions, we appreciate the support and help.


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carlisle View Post
    The ASA is now accepting nominations for the Outstanding Achievement Award. Think about who you would like to nominate and let us know so the board can vote on it. There were some major explorations this year that I personally like, such as Phantom Springs and Twin Dee's so Brett Hemphill or team KUR would get my attention. Help us out and give us some suggestions, we appreciate the support and help.
    FWIW,why look at exploration? The Aquatic Science Association, has science in their name,why not acknowledge some cutting edge science? Dr Thomas Sawicki looking at the relationships of amphipods through DNA,plus the possible discovery of a new species. What about the recent release of the article by Dante Fenolio,"Conservation Status of the Georgia Blind Salamander from the Floridan Aquifer of Georgia and Florida", John Ezell studying the dissolution of cave.....plus many more. Cave divers tend to be myopic and look at laying line as the only cave exploration that occurs,but there are other types of exploration occurring that allow an understanding of these caves. I put my reels away years ago to lay new line,when in fact I am get extreme satisfaction in doing exploration on the current project I work on,which is understanding the relationship between cave fauna and water quality.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    863

    Default

    James Garey from USF and chair of the science committee for the NSS-CDS.


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester View Post
    James Garey from USF and chair of the science committee for the NSS-CDS.
    That's the geographically challenged school directly west of Central Florida right?

    Can't wait for black Friday!

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    dr sawicki's project is super interesting. nice guy too. he gets my vote


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    That's the geographically challenged school directly west of Central Florida right?

    Can't wait for black Friday!
    I am afraid I dont follow. If being near the water is geographically challenged I will take it. I am not sure about "Black Friday"?

    Jim Garey is huge in cave research and dives into caves regularly putting in hydro labs. He is the chair of microbiology dept here at USF.

    http://biology.usf.edu/cmmb/faculty/jgarey/

    In addition donating his valuable time and expertise to head the Science committee for the NSS-CDS.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SW Florida
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester View Post
    I am afraid I dont follow. If being near the water is geographically challenged I will take it. I am not sure about "Black Friday"?

    Jim Garey is huge in cave research and dives into caves regularly putting in hydro labs. He is the chair of microbiology dept here at USF.

    http://biology.usf.edu/cmmb/faculty/jgarey/

    In addition donating his valuable time and expertise to head the Science committee for the NSS-CDS.
    I believe he was referring to the name of the school. University of South Florida. It's not really south Florida. I am in south Florida.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

    It's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester View Post
    Jim Garey is huge in cave research and dives into caves regularly putting in hydro labs. He is the chair of microbiology dept here at USF.

    http://biology.usf.edu/cmmb/faculty/jgarey/

    In addition donating his valuable time and expertise to head the Science committee for the NSS-CDS.
    This is good for the CDS for 2 reasons. 1)the CDS at one time had an AAUS affiliation,which is probably in an inactive status. 2) there is a lot of research that is occurring in the springs and caves,and it is good for the CDS to have a data base of the activity. The NFSA held a springs science symposium last year,which collected all the people conducting research,allowed short presentations and networking opportunities. It was amazing to uncover the number of people who are involved in some type of research,which basically goes unnoticed.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wakulla County, Florida
    Posts
    240

    Default

    I nominate Kelly Jessop. This guys puts in long days and spends much of his time studying the very thing many of us take for granted. His work with NFSA at Peacock and Madison do not go unnoticed by me. I know there are many others involved in it but I see Kelly at many functions offering up his time to conduct water quality seminars and use of the hydrolab. The classes are always booked, so he is doing something everyone has interest in. Just in case you don't win, Kelly, you efforts are highly appreciated.


  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speleodiver View Post
    I nominate Kelly Jessop. This guys puts in long days and spends much of his time studying the very thing many of us take for granted. His work with NFSA at Peacock and Madison do not go unnoticed by me. I know there are many others involved in it but I see Kelly at many functions offering up his time to conduct water quality seminars and use of the hydrolab. The classes are always booked, so he is doing something everyone has interest in. Just in case you don't win, Kelly, you efforts are highly appreciated.
    Thanks Steve,but there are some other projects out there that really deserve some recognition. I appreciate you and Kevin at least giving some consideration to science discovery in the cave ecosystems. I forwarded you a copy of the article by Dante Fenolio and it was co-written by Ben Martinez. Anybody who would like to read this article (be forewarned it is 7 megs due to the photography),PM your email address and I will send you a copy. PS-I work with an awesome team of people who help make this project happen,and I must give acknowledgement to Mike Stine,Bonnie Stine,Jim Womble,Xenia Mountrouidou,Jerry Murphy,Bobby Franklin, and Thomas Sawicki

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick


 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Light head, working or used any brand accepted
    By bobmirko in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 03:25 PM
  2. Cards accepted by Florida cave sites
    By stranmer in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 03:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts