Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseDiver View Post
    To the gentleman that welded up that fine cart... BRAVO.
    With my poor back, I might not have been able to make the dive witout it.
    I have been called a lot of things, but "gentleman" is a new one. You are very welcome non the less.


    Quote Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
    I enjoyed meeting you too! That was a fun dive even though friggin Bobby is such a stroke and messed up the vis for all of us!!
    If you think Bobby is bad, don't ever dive with me.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Age
    48
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36 View Post
    If you think Bobby is bad, don't ever dive with me.
    You can't be worse than Bobby! He is the biggest stroke in the world.

    By the way, thank you for the cart! Fantastic work, beats carrying the tanks to Jug... Yes I have done this... once... never again!

    Xenia, a.k.a. Local Zip Code Diver

  3. #13

    Default

    I think the rain kept everyone away on Saturday... The new cart was wonderful, but one wheel looked to need tightening. Alas, the heavy duty bolt and nut were too big for the crescent wrenches in my toolbox. Even in the rain puddles and mud, it's definitely the strongest, most well built cart I've ever seen!




    This catfish was about 350-400 feet back, and he was just sitting there like this. I thought he (or she...don't know how to tell sex of a catfish) must be dead, but when I swam in for a close up, he "turned tail" and swam away. Maybe he thought the diving season was over and he could take a multi-month nap?


    Can someone tell me more about this eel (or eel like animal) I spotted next to the dancing catfish? A Wikipedia search says that all eels return to the ocean to procreate, but this and other eels I've seen in caves are pretty far from the ocean... are they not eels, do some eels procreate in fresh water, or do they just swim a long way to the ocean?


    Think he enjoyed it?



    The sun did come out to play for a little while...lots of people swimming around in the basin when we surfaced at 3.

    Last edited by JahJahwarrior; 04-02-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Fixed one image link duplicated
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    American Eel

    They do go out to see to procreate and they can be found pretty far inland and really far into the caves. They are incredibly prominant in some of the panhandle caves, if you ever want to see dozens of them, goto Morrison or Vortex. They get pretty big too, I've seen them with heads as big around as my balled up fist. I've had them latch onto my fingers before, they don't have big teeth, just rows of really small sandpaper grit like teeth. Damn thing just spun on my finger.

    They're really neat, IMO.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    High Springs, FL
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    cool pics, what type of camera/housing and lights are you using?


  6. #16

    Default

    They are very apt swimmers and can make their way through some low and diverse places. Only the females make their way inland and they make their way as far north and inland as the great lakes. If I remember correctly, when they are overtaken with the need to breed, they make their way back to the spot where they were born. On their journey they cease feeding and make their way back to the Saragasso Sea where all spawning takes place. After laying their eggs, they die. Looked it up for a trip report I wrote one time.

    9/11....... I remember .........

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the other side of Morning.
    Posts
    380

    Default

    I've read that they can make their way in and out through the aquifer into springs that lead to the ocean.
    Here is a great National Geographic story on the subject of eels. Nice pics. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...ls/prosek-text

    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Distant Zipcode Diver
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Cave Ranger wins my favorite avatar accolades. Orsmness.

    Semper Questio ~ Semper Fidelis

  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the other side of Morning.
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseDiver View Post
    Cave Ranger wins my favorite avatar accolades. Orsmness.
    Thank you Dog. That's actually a picture of me during my pagen phase. Thank Allah I found Jesus.

    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)


 

Similar Threads

  1. jug hole
    By the dude in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 02:21 PM
  2. jug hole
    By deepdiver4 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
  3. jug hole?
    By LiteHedded in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
  4. Jug Hole (Blue Hole)
    By imported_admin in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 01:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts