Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Default LongerDivesFoggyMask

    I have been using baby shampoo as defog for quite some time and it has worked flawlessly.

    Recently, I purchased set of prescription bifocal lenses. I've noticed that near the 00:90 minute mark my mask is starting to fog. Dives are extending out to 2+ hours and I am spending much of the return trip clearing the fog from my mask.

    I have already cleaned the lenses multiple times with toothpaste.

    Looking for a suggestion for a new Defog solution that will hold up on longer dives.



    Thanks!

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Gheesling View Post
    I have been using baby shampoo as defog for quite some time and it has worked flawlessly.

    Recently, I purchased set of prescription bifocal lenses. I've noticed that near the 00:90 minute mark my mask is starting to fog. Dives are extending out to 2+ hours and I am spending much of the return trip clearing the fog from my mask.

    I have already cleaned the lenses multiple times with toothpaste.

    Looking for a suggestion for a new Defog solution that will hold up on longer dives.



    Thanks!
    Have you burned the inside of the mask? Use a lighter and run it inside of the mask. You will actually see a white film appear and then dissipate off. Then clean with toothpaste and use ur defog. The stuff burning off is a solution they use in the mask production. I had a mask that was a couple years old that I sent in to get readers installed. The reader part kept fogging (I had burnt the rest of the lens years earlier). Did the burn trick and cleaned with toothpaste and never an issue since.


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Have you burned the inside of the mask? Use a lighter and run it inside of the mask. You will actually see a white film appear and then dissipate off. Then clean with toothpaste and use ur defog. The stuff burning off is a solution they use in the mask production. I had a mask that was a couple years old that I sent in to get readers installed. The reader part kept fogging (I had burnt the rest of the lens years earlier). Did the burn trick and cleaned with toothpaste and never an issue since.
    Thanks!

    I'm going to contact the company before I put a lighter to these lenses.

    I'll let you know if it works.

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default LongerDivesFoggyMask

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominick Gheesling View Post
    Thanks!

    I'm going to contact the company before I put a lighter to these lenses.

    I'll let you know if it works.
    Was it an old mask lenses were added to or an all new mask? Youre not really heating it for long so it shouldnt cause damage. The adhesives they use are pretty heat resistant.
    They will probably tell you not to to cover their asses. Once I started doing the burn trick I?ve never had a foggine issue since. But i get not wanting to f up some prescription lenses.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  5. #5

    Default

    New bifocal lenses from prescription dive mask.

    If anyone else has experience with these lenses let me know.

    Thanks

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Contact the people who did your lenses, they have a lot of experience with their product and great with customer service. In the mean time, 89 minutes dives.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Most of the newer masks say do not use toothpaste. It ruins the mask.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bartow, FL
    Posts
    1,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Most of the newer masks say do not use toothpaste. It ruins the mask.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And what do they say to use to remove the releasing agents?


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Put some defog in and rub. And rub and rub. May have to do it several times. And rub hard.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    Most of the newer masks say do not use toothpaste. It ruins the mask.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did contact them once to ask about toothpaste and they said that it is fine to use toothpaste on their lenses

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts