Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I use "Absolutely clear mask defog" (pink stuff). I use the toothpaste when new and clean with baby shampoo after every dive.



    This process keeps my mask clear for up to 10 hours. I use it on my backup mask as well and have pulled it out of my pocket after 6 hours in the water and the mask is still clear. The pink stuff takes a little time to let it dry and then rub it off before every dive, but it works great and does not wash off if you get some water in your mask.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ocala, FL.
    Posts
    25

    Default

    i used SEA GOLD (gel) for a long time i have used prescription lenses for 23 years, used both types glued in lenses and lenses ground to fit mask. the sea gold worked fine on dives 3+hrs then i started using REEF SAFE (spray) Dive Out Post had it when Cathy was there not sure with Adam and Kate that stuff has always worked well on any dive i do no matter the duration (my spit always worked good when i was younger i guess age changed that) if Dive Out Post no longer has REEF SAFE i too will be looking for a substitute i hope this helps.


  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    I put in defog the night before, let it dry overnite. Then polish with a soft rag. Do not swish water inside the mask, try to keep it dry. Never had a fog problem, even in the great white north under the ice.

    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Active Duty
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Are you sure that is the mask and not a to tight neck seal? If your neck seal is to tight, the reduced blood flow will cause cloudy vision.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Interestingly enough, I haven't had a mask fog on me in years until yesterday. I'll blame Dom and this thread.

    Ken Sallot

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    clean it with comet if the toothpaste you're using isn't getting it done


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I thought toothpaste didn't work anymore anyway, because it's no longer abrasive.


  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    I thought toothpaste didn't work anymore anyway, because it's no longer abrasive.
    whitening ones normally do the trick


  9. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    I thought toothpaste didn't work anymore anyway, because it's no longer abrasive.
    25+ years of diving using *fluoride* toothpaste and spit. Fluoride and gritty stuff works best. Toothpaste inside and out, let sit overnight/24 hr before rinsing.
    Includes 2 bi-focal masks from Prescription Dive Masks and, for OW, 2 Aga's. Just before diving, I rubbed a little Sea Gold on the Aga's, without rinsing, just because it was a pain to rinse the Aga on a boat.


  10. #20

    Default

    Thank you all for the advice. I tried my buddy's defog today and it worked great.

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts