Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    high springs
    Posts
    468

    Default Madison - 10/2/15

    We had three teams of two yesterday in Madison yesterday, and covered MANY thousands of feet so this report, I think, will be very accurate.

    A-team - Checked out the crossunder entrance under the cavern. Lots of silt but then there always is in that area. T he entrance to the downstream area is workable but tight. Lots of silt buildup in the entrance. Moving on, we swam to what used to be the well that went into the Century tunnel. Looks like some "movement" has taken place in that area since I was there last, maybe a year ago. When I say "movement" I'm referring to the depression over the entrance to the well that used to go down into the Century tunnel. The cave in area looks different ( whatever that means ) Also it appears that someone has moved a rock or two because you can now look down into what was once the well that entered the Century tunnel. You can't see very far, maybe 3-4 feet, but once again, it wasn't that way on my last visit. Also there is a new line back there.
    Moving on to the Godzilla circuit: Nothing out of the ordinary but lots of "dust" on all the rocks. It would appear that it has not been heavily traveled this summer. Godzilla seems to have some kids or some visitors because there's a least three creatures, maybe more, in the Godzilla room. There's also a Godzilla imposter out on the main line, along with a lot of other crap. So much for just two dorfs and nothing else!
    Vis in all three areas we visited was extremely clear ( until we got there! )

    B- team - Main line to the Roto rooter tunnel and some short exploration back in that area. T hose guys were in Optimas so they stayed out of the small areas. Once again perfect vis. Actually "sparkling" vis past the half hitch.

    C-team - Big push into the Courtyard up to the old depth gauge ( around 3100 feet or so ) Lots of survey going on in that area. On the return, they jumped down into the Badlands to check for silt buildup in that passage. When I did the circuit back in 1993, the silt mounds went almost to the ceiling so that was the purpose of the visit. The passage looked good for the several hundred feet that was visited. Once again, there's survey going on in this area. Encountered several markers to that effect. Absolutely perfect vis thruout this area.
    One small problem we need some help with. On the return thru Potters one of the Optima guys lost a second stage off of his bailout bottle. Don't ask how it happened. It just happened! It's a new Dive Rite and once the silt clears, I'm sure it will be laying right in the middle of the passage! If anybody finds it, you can contact me or leave it at the CCDS.

    There you have it, we covered a considerable distance yesterday and it was all good. One last point to mention, for you "out of towners" Martz Sink looks awful from the surface but it's just from the local rain runoff. we hit clear water in less than 20 feet. Steps going into Martz are getting old but still very workable. The construction to the main spring is still on-going but it looks like it's getting very close to completion.

    "Skeeters" were bad but not terrible. Bring bug spray! Park was empty yesterday. Two swimmers all day and one dive team coming in as we left. It doesn't get any better!


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Great dive report


  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Would keep an eye on the river gauge because north of there has had a lot of rain. I noticed the Pineta gauge has jumped a foot in a very short time

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb...19302&period=7

    oddly enough, the river rose a little and flow raised too


  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb...19302&period=7

    oddly enough, the river rose a little and flow raised too
    Conductivity went up and dissolved oxygen unchanged, makes me think this is due to local rain fall charging the aquifer.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Glad you mentioned the breakdown in Century because I was also observing the spot. I came to Madison for the first time already after the collapse so it was hard to judge the changes you have mentioned. Was the formerly 3rd entrance to Aquaduct in the area you call Badlands?

    I have been once upstream some 200' from the pit in Crossunder, how far is it from the breakdown?

    Also I want to mention that the line in pit from Crossunder was Ting into Aquaduct line. On the way back we almost missed it and it was scary. The depth drops from Crossunder syphon from 70 to 130 if I recall right and swimming upstream was hard which might contributed to some narcotic effect on our team. If I would line that spot I would place continuous line going up into Crossunder and make a gap into great unknown downstream Aquaduct. Just my opinion, I'm not aware how it is now, I was there 5 yrs ago.

    ARY (Photo, video)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    high springs
    Posts
    468

    Default

    PM sent


    Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    Glad you mentioned the breakdown in Century because I was also observing the spot. I came to Madison for the first time already after the collapse so it was hard to judge the changes you have mentioned. Was the formerly 3rd entrance to Aquaduct in the area you call Badlands?

    I have been once upstream some 200' from the pit in Crossunder, how far is it from the breakdown?

    Also I want to mention that the line in pit from Crossunder was Ting into Aquaduct line. On the way back we almost missed it and it was scary. The depth drops from Crossunder syphon from 70 to 130 if I recall right and swimming upstream was hard which might contributed to some narcotic effect on our team. If I would line that spot I would place continuous line going up into Crossunder and make a gap into great unknown downstream Aquaduct. Just my opinion, I'm not aware how it is now, I was there 5 yrs ago.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Has anybody been to Madison lately?
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 09:33 AM
  2. Need Help at Madison
    By tflaris in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 09:23 AM
  3. Madison
    By cavediver515 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM
  4. Madison
    By FW in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts