Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default School Sink closed.

    I just was informed that School Sink is closed. The BOD closed it pending a new management plan. BUT if no new plan is reached they will go back to the old plan. The next meeting is May 24.
    This is ok but why close the sink???
    Personally I had plans to dive there for the first time early May.
    Any thoughts or comments???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  2. #2

    Default

    The BoD is working hard on opening the sink with a new plan in place that will be of benefit to all CDS members. Decisions like this are not easy to make, but in the best interest of the NSS-CDS as an organization as a whole it was decided to reorganize the management plan. The May 24 date was added to the BoD vote as a fall back or fail safe if you will.

    I can assure you a new management plan is already in the draft stage. I know this for a fact as I typed up the current draft.



    If anyone (CDS member or not) would like to talk further about this in person (on phone) send me a PM and I will gladly give you my cell number.

    Thank you
    Nathan Spray
    NSS-CDS BoD member


  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee View Post
    This is ok but why close the sink???
    Personally I had plans to dive there for the first time early May.
    Any thoughts or comments???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably have to ask the board. School sink has had a history of trespassing(not members),people entering without waivers,people not having correct credentials etc If the CDS is encountering problems like this they may have no other choice,especially since the site is under litigation. If they are having controlling these issues,then closure may be needed to get management issues resolved.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    I know rules are rules. I'm just disappointed. I've waited a long time to dive there and finally have a chance and now it closes. I did email Nathan and had a quick reply.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    863

    Default

    Lee,
    I can assure you we are working on this right now. To be honest the last condition reports weren't good.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    I know. I am just pouting. Thanks for all your hard work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    roadkill

  7. #7
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    I cant wait until instructors get to take students there to finish full cave. I also cant wait until the DPV classes begin there.

    I think that a respectable BOD member should not be making a decision on the management of a cave they have not dove at least 5-6 times themselves.

    The original management plan was designed by people who were very familiar with the cave and it's dangers... The current people voting on this "new" plan are not familiar with the cave, unless someone has data otherwise...

    Opinions?

    Instruction should not take place in School Sink, just like instruction isn't allowed to happen at Cathedral...

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St Pete, Fl
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,571

    Default

    Is this a real thing? THATS potentially going to be the new policy?

    Come on guys. Get it together.


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    I cant wait until instructors get to take students there to finish full cave. I also cant wait until the DPV classes begin there.

    I think that a respectable BOD member should not be making a decision on the management of a cave they have not dove at least 5-6 times themselves.


    ...
    Joe as a person running for CDS board this statement surprises me. I have never dove School sink,but a number of years ago I made decisions on School sink that effected the management of the property. We had people reporting dives on these forums under dive reports that when investigated were not CDS members,did not have Abe Davis,and further check showed no waivers were completed. Doesn't take a board member who has dove the system to realize that there is a management problem. These problems had to be addressed and worked with inconjunction with the property manager. I don't know what exactly the CDS is encountering,but they are under a microscope right now as related to the properties,and if they perceive any problem they absolutely must do what a prudent person would do. I applaud the CDS for taking action,although nobody likes a site being closed,but their actions could potentially save future access to the system.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  10. #10

    Default

    Current guides, property managers past and current, training committee have all been consulted ref the new plan. So your comment about a BoD member who hasn't dove the system 5-6 times has absolutely no merit.

    We are working hard to keep sites open. You know the easiest and safest thing to do is just close all the sites. We wouldn't have to worry about any liability that way. Now, none of us want that! We are all looking out for the good of the CDS. What Kelly said above is spot on.

    Everyone will be hearing rumors, etc, but nothing is final yet, just because we are discussing a proposed change say ref DPV training doesn't mean that will make the final plan. We are exploring every possibility of site use and access.

    Joe, I encourage you to call me, I made myself a available. Just send me a PM and I will give you my number.



 

Similar Threads

  1. School Sink 8/16/2013
    By TracyN in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 11:08 AM
  2. Collapse at School Sink
    By tflaris in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
  3. School Sink
    By tflaris in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 08:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts