Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Any Interesting Diving in Colorado?

    My family and I are considering relocating to Colorado in the near future. I know there are a lot of quarries and lakes out there but does anyone know of any interesting diving in the state? Last time I was out there I saw what appeared to be an open water class going on in a lake in Loveland. I am trying to decide if its worth moving all my cave gear out there or leave it here in Florida for trips home. Any one with some info???

    No Comment

  2. #2
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    SSI's home is twenty miles north of Loveland so you might want to call and ask them.

    But I can tell you this: in August it had been over 90° every day for weeks and the swimming pool was like ice, so the aquifer/ground temperature must be colder than rip.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Signal 20 View Post
    My family and I are considering relocating to Colorado in the near future. I know there are a lot of quarries and lakes out there but does anyone know of any interesting diving in the state? Last time I was out there I saw what appeared to be an open water class going on in a lake in Loveland. I am trying to decide if its worth moving all my cave gear out there or leave it here in Florida for trips home. Any one with some info???
    This group might be of some use
    http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/group/utdcolorado

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    Yes, it tells me that all their trips are out of state.

    I was in Colorado in July, and wanted to dive, but all the cavediving was on National Forest land, and was closed due to White Nose Syndrome. Unless you are interested in "dry" caving, you probably wouldn't be interested in diving those caves anyway.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I believe there are sumps, but I haven't really looked into that very much. It's mostly just lakes, which are nice to get wet. In August, some of us dove at Turquoise Lake, which was 48 degrees at depth. Most of my Colorado dive buddies dive in a spring called Rock Lake - on a piece of private property in New Mexico. There are some overhangs, some spring outlets, and some swim throughs there, but there aren't any large enough to get into, that we've found.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,513

    Default

    not sure about diving but I heard of a place in Co. where you can get an Aligator Wrestling Cerification.

    Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5

    Default

    I live in western Colorado and other than a few lakes that we dive just to get wet there really isn't much. As amascuba said we go to New Mexico with some regularity, about six hours drive from Denver.


  8. #8
    Dive Sherpa
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PCB
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I live in Loveland, Co. The best use of your cave diving gear would be to leave it in Florida for visits home. But good luck with the moving. It is like living in a picture postcard out here!


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Yeah, no cave diving in Colorado to speak of. Of course you're only a 3.5-hr direct flight from Cancun.

    I heard that there is cave diving in Utah... cold and strong flow. It's about an 8hr drive from Denver. DOn't know any details.


  10. #10

    Default

    I live near Colorado Springs, and travel quite a bit to do any decent diving. I have done Rock Lake and Blue Hole in New Mexico a few times, yet no caves to dive there (Rock Lake kind of "bells" out as you go deeper and I think there are a few articles on these diving forums about someone doing a UTD Overhead Protocols class there). The cold weather here presents the opportunity to go ice diving in quite a few different areas if you are inclined to do so.

    I dove the Pueblo Reservoir last weekend to check out a new (to me) drysuit with 27 degree outside air temp, 45 degree water, and 12 to 18 inch visibility. That was the best I could manage without driving more than two hours from home or getting into a heated pool.

    What part of CO are you planning to relocate to?



 

Similar Threads

  1. Strawberry Park, Colorado
    By mfsmith1964 in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 06:31 PM
  2. St Mary's Glacier, Colorado
    By JE in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 11:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts