Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93
  1. #1

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post

    I saw Ken Hill poking into all kinds of places. I spoke to him after the dive and he was talking about looking for more signs of "DIC". If I understand him correctly, they (he) are very close in identifying who was responsible. Something about it not being initials?

    Has anyone else heard anything about this?

    Walter,
    Merry Christmas!! I found nothing at Little River but a beautiful dive with about as much flow as Peacock.

    Maybe its time to let the cave diving community know whats going on and perhaps this reply should be on the main forum (moderaor magic may be needed) because there has been a lot of work, a lot of information and ideas and efforts of others to seek out DIC and learn how this could have happened. In the efforts to find DIC many internet sites carried the message, the news of the reward and the speculation and chat of the members. This happened here and abroad.

    In my review of those in Florida dive country from the period of October 20th to November 10th, I learned there was not one person with the initials "DIC," who bought gas or signed a release. Further there were no DIC visitors to Ginnie or Cow or other places recording names. There were only 26 people who dove both Ginnie and Cow. So, a persons initials was ruled out and other meanings for the letters were looked into. Any combination of words in English and other languages were looked at, leads were followed to their conclusion ... and then a lot of those leads were ruled out. Then there were the other "writings" surrounding one DIC writing in Devils with the other initials "RT" and a foreign word "PULGA."

    Could DIC mean 599 in roman numerals and could the Pulga signify the last name of a woman in Italy that won 599 votes in her provincial election? Probably not. Pulga means flea in Spanish and Portuguese. In Italy it has a colloquial meaning to clean. In Brazil its a slang word used to describe a lay-about, a guy with no job nor ambition (redneck???) We had cave divers from Brazil, Russia, Spain, Italy, Mexico, Canada plus Americans from around the US. Was it someone visiting DEMA? There the list got too long and these visitors are supposedly dive professionals who would have had to sneak dives the sites. A forensic psychologist wrote a profile and a professional didn't make the cut.

    Am I at a dead end, no ... I've always said I like cave divers because among them are minds that seldom share a single viewpoint. They are active thinkers who come up with ideas.

    I got some good leads to follow up on but I am going to need the community''s help. It's a given DIC means something to someone, its not "Doing it Chasey" as there is a group in Britain (that got 7000 hits on the topic) and they don't really dive in caves. So it could mean "Dive(s) in Caves" Dies in Caves" Destruction in Caves" remove "caves" and insert "clay." How about "draws in clay" or "Doing it Correctly", "Dual (or double) independent cylinders" The list too seems endless but understand this, DIC has meaning to someone. But why was it struck in four places in three counties in such a short time? This was done by an accomplished cave diver with skills and knowledge of the sites, not a newbie or an OW diver.

    The names of the 26 who signed into Ginnie and Cow were pretty much ruled out. What must be left is someone who snuck into Cow and perhaps dove Ginnie by boat or annual pass. If he snuck into Cow someone must know who he is or we would have had a report of a stranger or a strange van. So is it logical to think DIC is someone we know?

    There is the Kingdom of the Hobbit as was pointed out to me. A place I know nothing about! It has a King who assumes he's a King and has a following those that he has forced to be followers. He is in the center of the earth and the Hobbit alphabet perhaps holds meaning for "DIC." A Hobbit word for cave explorer is "PLUGA" so says its author J.R.R.Tolkien (??RT). Was that what was cut into the limestone at Devils? Here's the best part, this king of the Hobbit character closely matches the forensic profile.

    What if DIC is someone "living" in another world with the mindset of a character with a great deal of animosity. DIC has acted to display a great deal of animosity in the real world to other cave divers and the cave community in general. DIC is someone with an ax to grind with dive operations, organizations and professionals. Is he someone who wants the cave for himself. DIC is likely compulsive and introverted. DIC has a passive aggressive temperament. Is he trying to be the self proclaimed King of cave divers as he is a self proclaimed King in some fantasy world?

    Sound far fetched? Perhaps. How many documented cases of volunteer firemen set blazes so they can save the day? Would a cave diver destroy a cave to save it? Would that be his transition from fantasy to reality and a call to glory?

    In the near future I will make time and have the necessary probable cause to obtain "John Doe" arrest warrants for DIC in Suwannee and Gilchrist Counties. That will eliminate the statute of limitations and allow the fertile minds of cave diving, to continue to work. One of you has the link to DIC, please tell me ... all communication is confidential. /Ken

    Last edited by tj; 01-09-2008 at 08:10 PM.

  2. #2

    Default DIC Investigation

    Did everyone read Ken's posting regarding his investigation into DIC? It is very interesting. Hopefully he will repost it here.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Scroll up and you will see Ken's post. I was able to copy it here but the program puts them in chronological order.

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  4. #4
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Well a quick search of netlingo indicates that in the world of text messaging and such, DIC can mean Drunk in Charge, especially in OZ or New Zealand.

    The Urban Dictionary gives a more plausable meaning...

    Rather than having to flag my own post i will just give you the link: Caution! Vulgarity follows: once on this link click the second listing for D.I.C. in the list on the left of the page that brings up 3 additional defs (for some reason both pages have the same url)

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=D.I.C

    also see
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=DIC&page=1

    Bill

    Last edited by wingman; 12-27-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: additional DIC Defs and link fix
    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  5. #5

    Default

    Mike,
    Thanks for reposting it.

    DIC has numerous meanings, over 60 in fact. The thing to keep in mind is that DIC is sending a significant message known only to DIC. He struck in four places at parts of caves that are beyond the range of open water divers and beyond the range of novice cave divers. All indicators are that DIC is an accomplished diver.

    Any meaning DIC may have in some fantasy world is probably known to someone who knows of those fantasy world roles. On the other hand DIC may only know what its all about and is confused between the fantasy world and real world and articulated this belief in the real caves of north Florida. In either case his message is lost.

    Someone out there knows who he is. If he is caught he will be prosecuted I can promise that. If he turns himself I'll try to get him help. /Ken


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watauga TX
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Glad to see this is still going.


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixxervi6 View Post
    Glad to see this is still going.
    Me too.

    Jim


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    FWIW, there were signs of DIC in Peacock that same weekend.

    I am sending Ken a PM.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the other side of Morning.
    Posts
    380

    Default

    This "DIC" sure poked a hornets nest didn't he. That was probably the intention all along. I'd still like to drop a hornets nest down the back of his dry suit.
    I too am glad that this isn't going away but I was also wondering if there has been any progress in repairing the damage to the clay banks in Cow? I would be very intrigued by knowing if and how this was done. Someone mentioned cutting away the damage with a thin wire on previous posts. I was thinking that wide fine bristled brush strokes in the direction of the grain might do it but either way it is a challenge to be sure.

    Well anyhow...I hope everyone has a safe New Years. I hope to be back up your way the weekend after (Jan 4th-7th). I'm camping at O'leno but I might just make the drive over to Cow so I can get all outraged again. My anger keeps me warm

    Last edited by Sludge; 12-28-2007 at 08:27 AM.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Yeah, I was wondering if the damage to Cow was going to get fixed, as well. That clay bank in cow is the thing that pushed me over the edge when it comes to this DIC (and probably a lot of others too). That bank was just something special. It is close enough to the entrance that you can see it on every dive and it has so many layers. It still makes me sick thinking about it.

    Is it clear? No? Well....let's go anyways.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts