Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    217

    Default WOO HOO! Finally made it!

    FINALLY finished my last round of courses over the weekend!

    We did a couple of dives at Eagle's Nest to finish everything off and had an absolute blast doing so. It's been a really fun ride here and I'm happy I finally made it!


    Pic: My instructor and I surfacing from my final dive at Eagle's Nest!


    Pic: what my hard work, learning and skills earned me


    Pic: NAUI was offering limited edition cards with very rare species of animals on them, so I got them all: Two species of Cave Clown Fishes, a Cave Hermit Crab and the ever elusive Cave Shark!


    Speech!
    Thanks to my instructors and mentors over the years, the dive shops I frequent to let me spend tons of money in, my wife for putting up with the many long weekends away from home and the Lord for not letting me die while doing all this awesome stuff!

    I especially want to thank two people the most as they made me the diver I am today. You know who you are.

    I've never formally introduced myself, only lurked here a while and then just recently started posting a few weeks ago... a little about my diving life:

    About 10 years ago I went up to Peacock with a few buddies that were big bad cave divers. I wanted to see what they did, and check out the springs, as I had always enjoyed snorkeling and looking at the underwater world. When they surfaced, one of them let me try his regulator and go down a few feet. It was amazing. I could just sit there and stare at the fish and turtles all I wanted without having to surface for a breath of air. I was hooked...but at the time thought this sport/hobby was WAY out of my league and price range.

    Then, 4 years ago a buddy came back from an island vacation and said he got to try a resort dive in the reefs and said it was the most amazing thing ever. I mentioned I had a buddy that was an instructor that said he would teach me whenever I was ready. We booked him and spent many weekends over a couple months period on our Open Water course.

    Pic: Very first time on Scuba! Such an awesome thing to remember, I hope you all remember your first time. It's still amazing to me every time I get in the water.



    From the get go he hammered into us buoyancy and trim. He would not pass us unless we could maintain as perfect newby trim as we could while hovering off the bottom. He taught us other skill beyond OW such as using lines and reels for navigation or just tying them to our safety sausages, etc. We went overboard with gear configs, slim lining everything and making sure we had nothing that would get caught on anything.

    We did our checkout dives in Aug 09 down in Key Largo and had the time of our lives!

    Pic: My buddy and I on our checkout dives in Key Largo. I love this picture, it just shows what a good instructor that takes the time to teach good skills will produce.


    Now...as a fun pic, I got this taken when we finished our last checkout dive:


    4 years later I still had the same pair of shades laying around so I had another pic taken of me wearing them while on my last checkout dive (not as bright, eagle's nest was NASTY last weekend)


    From there I was hooked and just kept going and going, learning more, taking more courses, getting more gear. I found I really enjoyed mentoring as well and started going along to help with OW classes and such. I decided to go the DM route so I could officially help in classes. I found it rewarding and enjoyable to be able to share my knowledge and skills in something I love to do and am passionate about and helping to make someone else a better diver just by sharing.

    It didn't take long before I got a taste of Cavern and took that course. Then I wanted to see what was beyond the cavern and took Cave 1. Cave 2 was naturally next on the list, but I also started helping with tech classes by just being a buddy to do demos and skills on to show the students. I really enjoyed this as well and decided I wanted to go full Tech DM to officially help in technical courses.

    I have a few more things I am interested in down the road, but for now I'm pretty excited to see where diving will take me next!

    Last edited by corvettejoe; 07-15-2013 at 09:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    It's been an honor and a pleasure.

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dothan, AL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Congratulations, but you are by no means finished - ever heard of a CCR?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

    Bil Lindstrom
    UCLA

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Someone has to ask...

    You did cave class dives at EN? Helium?


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bil View Post
    Congratulations, but you are by no means finished - ever heard of a CCR?

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    ...and watering my money tree LOL


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Only did the Deco parts at EN. There's not much cave for me to see at 130ft there on EANx
    It's a great place to get some depth, hold stops, switch gasses, etc and run a square profile for planning.

    Still trying to decide what I want to do beyond EANx...

    I did many many weekends at many other different caves for all other skills though.
    Got some GREAT diving in during all of this


  7. #7
    Moderator Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Proof that we need better instructors out there... Surprised you passed.




    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    Proof that we need better instructors out there... Surprised you passed.
    LOL I know right? I had such TERRIBLE instructors


  9. #9

    Default

    Congratulations! I recognize that instructor....
    I enjoyed reading your diving CV and photos too. (I have also enjoyed your photos from other threads.)

    Gene


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Congratulations!

    Alasdair


 

Similar Threads

  1. Mistakes I've made.
    By Greenwood_60 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM
  2. WTS: Custom made SS BP.
    By Bonediver in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 08:36 PM
  3. Made in USA
    By Puttzer in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts