Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default Regs stolen in Tulum--MX bound divers please read

    Hello friends,

    It could be worse but thanks to friends at the dive shop here, the vacation's not ruined. Neil had his regs and other hardware stolen from our car, jut as we arrived for 12 days of cave diving, then to Cozumel for reefs. We took a red eye flight in on Saturday and planned on being rigged and ready this morning.

    We dive out of Xibalba Divers, Robbie Schmitter's shop, when we're here. We checked into the dive shop and dropped our gear last evening...everything except for our regs, which needed to be reconfigured, and our tool kit. Unwisely, we left them in the car while we went to have dinner. The car doors were locked, many people were out and about celebrating la la fiesta de la Virgen de Guadalupe, la gran santa padrona del mejico. So someone must have had a slim jim....they got into the car's trunk and took Neil's bag....he had three first and second stages set up for sidemount, all with PGs, hoses that he's been adding and working out, many SS clips of various kinds, plus our tool box. My bag, also containing regs, was in the back seat and was not taken. I'd brought an O2 reg and PG, which we rarely need here but it serves as a good "spare."

    Thanks to our friends at Xibalba Divers, we were able to cobble together a sidemount configuration that works for Neil. We're checking with the other dive shops in town and also with the pawn shops.

    While we were parked inquiring at a dive shop, we got a parking ticket. The cop took our front license plate. I'm not certain how the graft works here but was told that I shuld have bribled him....instead I told him we'd already been robbed once, would he give us a break....<<no>>.

    Anyway, it could have been worse; we weren't assaulted, but in the 10 or so years I'e been coming here it's been getting lots less friendly.
    Neil offers a reward for return of the gear, no questions asked. if anyone has an idea of other channels we might try, please let me know...

    thanks,
    Barbara


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tifton,Georgia
    Age
    38
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Man that sucks glad the dive shop was willing to let that guy use regs or the trip REALLY would have been ruined!! Sorry to hear that but hope yall have a safe and fun rest of the trip

    Joseph

    There is no limit. We'll always find a way to go deeper and deeper. That's been the pattern all along.

    --Sheck Exley

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    I'm so sorry!

    I had my car broken into, too, this weekend--presumably with a slim jim. My credit cards and drivers license were taken from my wallet.

    At least I didn't seem to have anything else taken, and I got my credit cards canceled right away.

    Land of Enchantment -- not so great for cave diving, but mighty scenic!

  4. #4
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavedivingwoman View Post
    I'm not certain how the graft works here but was told that I should have bribed him....
    This is why I'll probably never go back to Mexico. The government won't do anything about the police corruption. Well, I guess they don't want my tourist money!

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fort White, FL
    Age
    50
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Yeah, the caves down there are cool, but not that cool.

    Doing It Caverkevin

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mchenry, Il.
    Age
    73
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I would put the word out to Steve Gerrard as he is probably the most connected cave diver in the Tulum area. Maybe you have already, but it's worth a shot.
    Couldn't hurt


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    This is why I'll probably never go back to Mexico. The government won't do anything about the police corruption. Well, I guess they don't want my tourist money!
    They are trying to crack down on the narcotics trade but since so many police supplemented their income by helping the narcos, they are turning to speed traps and other forms of bribery to make extra cash.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas / Florida
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Barbara, that is terrible. So sorry to hear that Neil's equipment was taken. I know it's no fun, as I had a similar experience when some of my equipment was stolen while in Grand Cayman. It seems this can happen just about anywhere. I hope the rest of your stay is safe and enjoyable.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    434

    Default we're coping

    thanks for the condolences, all. Yes, it stinks, but the most important thing is that there was no assault. We've notified all the dive shops in the area as well as Connie loRe and Nancy de Rosa. "Good suggestion about getting in touch with Steve, I have his email and he' not too far away.

    We did geg diving today with Neil using a sidemount configuration that works out pretty well...one gauge reads in BAR and the other in PSI but he is British and a scientist so can do the conversions easily.

    I doubt it was a drug thing...who knows, though. It was dumb of us to leave anything in the car.

    Barbara, I'm glad you got your cards back.

    Otherwise, Mexico is lovely and friendly. Speaking a little of the language helps. I've never had anything bad happen here and have been diving in Cozumel for about 25 years and the caves maybe for 10. Lots of changes though!

    Be safe everyone!
    Cheers,
    Barbara


  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    This is why I'll probably never go back to Mexico. The government won't do anything about the police corruption. Well, I guess they don't want my tourist money!
    Man if you think Mex is bad, here in DR it is 1000% worse, corruption is literally a "normal" day to day business transaction.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Scooter Stolen
    By HappyHacker in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
  3. Gainesville Florida Divers please read
    By Cindy in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
  4. ....Stolen spool....
    By Rich in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 09:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts