Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Martinsville, VA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    171

    Default

    I'll take your word for it J.
    If it's that friable, no need to ever go there and destroy it more.
    There's plenty of stuff I can turn around in yet to finish. I'll enjoy it vicariously with the map !

    Brian M. Williams
    Education, Outreach and Conservation Coordinator
    Dan River Basin Association
    3300 Kings Mountain Road
    PO Box 7
    Collinsville, VA 24078
    phone: (276)634-2592
    [email protected]
    www.danriver.org

  2. #22

    Default Re: tightest

    Quote Originally Posted by rchrds
    Oh- forgot another basket of suck- Edwards- both bottles off against high flow at 160' almost 3000 feet back in low viz. Has all the makings of a sweet dive.
    j
    That's a freaky place. I've only been cave diving for a couple of years and my friends enjoy torturing me by taking me to caves like that. The flow shot me right out of that chimney like a cannon. I can't fathom being 3000 feet back in that thing, does it go under the river?


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thinking of Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: tightest

    Quote Originally Posted by BillGraham
    That's a freaky place. I've only been cave diving for a couple of years and my friends enjoy torturing me by taking me to caves like that. The flow shot me right out of that chimney like a cannon. I can't fathom being 3000 feet back in that thing, does it go under the river?
    Not where I am talking about- it leads away from the river, but yes- Edwards does go under the river, connects eventually to Suwannacoochie, which is a nice dive and can be done on backgas if you dont get sidetracked in a side passage- The really cool part, is both Edwards and Suwannacoochie blow dark water (to a varying degree) but there is a section in the very middle between the systems that is crystal clear blue. It's almost as if the two systems werent supposed to connect, but just happened to. (Water doesnt flow from one side to the other, either.) I like diving Edwards, but it has turned into quite a drive for me. Go there and wait for the train to go past while you are on deco. Now THAT is freaky.

    Sorry for sidetracking the thread...

    J


  4. #24

    Default Re: Tighest SIdemount Cave System ?

    Ogof Psygodyn Gwyn (cave of the white fish). Dived it in the 90's with two 21's lashed together and lights attached to the tanks which were pushed ahead like a sled. No fins. Not only is it tight but also has several Z bends.


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Silver Glen

    Duncan,

    There is a picture on the Forum of you going into Silver Glen. Is this a worthwhile effort? That system is very close to were I live and I have always wanted to check it out. Is it sidemount only?


  6. #26

    Default Re: Silver Glen

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu
    There is a picture on the Forum of you going into Silver Glen. Is this a worthwhile effort? That system is very close to were I live and I have always wanted to check it out. Is it sidemount only?
    The routes into the first room are low and high flow which I would guess means sidemount only.

    Dives there are only allowed for scientific research purposes and Cindy Butler and I were lucky enough to accompany Tom Morris on a "bug hunting" trip there. The is no access for recreational diving. Sorry.


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thinking of Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: Silver Glen

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Price
    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu
    There is a picture on the Forum of you going into Silver Glen. Is this a worthwhile effort? Is it sidemount only?
    The routes into the first room are low and high flow which I would guess means sidemount only.

    Dives there are only allowed for scientific research purposes and Cindy Butler and I were lucky enough to accompany Tom Morris on a "bug hunting" trip there. The is no access for recreational diving. Sorry.
    All very true. Quite sidemount only, and smaller tanks are nicer in there. Particularly if you manage to get off on the wrong line- (there are many going to the same place via different routes.) Easy to get stuck and have to back out. We just took a bottle off and drove on.

    On a funny semi-related note- We made a crossing of Lake George during the night one night in my RRC(rubber raiding craft )- there were schools of fish near the surface and as we approched them at 20 knots they would jump out of the water- over the boat- at about head level- We kept getting hit by these foot long fish- C kept having to toss them from the deck and I almost got knocked off the sponson when one hit me square in the head at the tiller... Everyone was feeling physically abused after the 30 minute ride- We still laugh about "fish attacks."

    J


  8. #28

    Default Tight stuff in Chaz

    Jason, have you ever dove some of the tight springs on the Chassowitzka? Crab Creek is probably the longest there, but I haven't seen all of it. Backmounted Y'd 72 is as low as I go, LOL. Seen the bucket in Bubba Spring there?

    Drew


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Thinking of Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,241

    Default Re: Tight stuff in Chaz

    Quote Originally Posted by Limestone Cowboy
    Jason, have you ever dove some of the tight springs on the Chassowitzka? Crab Creek is probably the longest there, but I haven't seen all of it. Backmounted Y'd 72 is as low as I go, LOL. Seen the bucket in Bubba Spring there?

    Drew
    Nope- this is an area I havent had the chance to look over- I'd love to take the powered canoe out there some time- hmmm gotta be down there next weekend (well, further south anyway) perhaps I'll take a day on the river.

    BTW- you know of a place south of there named Buford Spring? PM me.

    Thanks!

    J


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curtschu View Post
    Didn't Gene Broome get in there at least once? I seem to remember him telling me he has no mounted it a couple of times. Speaking of old cavers Is Broome still in the business? last I heard he was selling for Cochrane.

    My father is not still diving, he is a Mortgage Broker in Central Florida now.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Nomad Sidemount System FS
    By Captain Bil in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 04:46 AM
  2. Nomad Sidemount System
    By Bill Rotella in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 07:30 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM
  4. FS: Dive Rite Transpac Sidemount System/Harness
    By Signal 20 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2005, 09:14 AM
  5. New Cave System?
    By Christen in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts