Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Where the shore meets the ocean
    Posts
    72

    Default How to switch with 2 deco bottles?

    I have a question for those who do 2 bottle deco, say 50% and 100%. When you reach the second, shallower switch, what do you do with the deco reg that is already in your mouth? Do you

    a) prefer to clip it to the right D ring where the primary is clipped and allow it to remain there until you surface.

    b) prefer to switch to back gas to give yourself an air break, stow the 50% reg and then make the switch to pure O2?

    c) prefer to switch to pure O2 from 50% and then stow it while breathing O2?

    I will be drilling second bottle management so I would like to know your recommendations.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Switching directly from one deco gas to the next is asinine. Back gas, stow, switch.


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grantctobin View Post
    Switching directly from one deco gas to the next is asinine.
    asinine..? Please explain.

    Jim Wyatt
    Cavediveflorida

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    direct deco gas switching is super messy. High risk of hoses getting twisted and it's just generally a PITA. When you leave your 30ft stop and head to 20, then you switch to backgas, stow the 50% bottle, then deploy the 100% bottle. I usually nose clip the dead bottles or put them on a leash.

    I like this approach.
    https://youtu.be/ATfl-ou2_Yc


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    direct deco gas switching is super messy. High risk of hoses getting twisted and it's just generally a PITA. When you leave your 30ft stop and head to 20, then you switch to backgas, stow the 50% bottle, then deploy the 100% bottle. I usually nose clip the dead bottles or put them on a leash.

    I like this approach.
    https://youtu.be/ATfl-ou2_Yc
    Out of curiosity - why leash the 3rd bottle to the hip d-ring and not butt d-ring?


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Interesting! In 27 years of trimix diving I have always switched directly from 50% to O2. I will have to try going to back gas between 30 and20. It seems to make sense.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RGU View Post
    Interesting! In 27 years of trimix diving I have always switched directly from 50% to O2. I will have to try going to back gas between 30 and20. It seems to make sense.
    Its definitely a much cleaner way to go. Even when diving stages and one deco bottle I used to keep the stage hose wrapped around my neck. I stopped and now do it as described above and am much happier. Unfortunately I wasnt taught that way either and I also as never taught the most ideal switch procedures. I had to learn through mentors and experience.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Princeton MN
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Direct switch from 50% to 100% then stow the hose and reg on the 50%. Guess I don't get how its such a mess to do that way. I don't live in cave country so when I'm doing this its coming up a line from a wreck often times with current.


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mndiver67 View Post
    Direct switch from 50% to 100% then stow the hose and reg on the 50%. Guess I don't get how its such a mess to do that way. I don't live in cave country so when I'm doing this its coming up a line from a wreck often times with current.
    Direct switch = 3 2nd stages hanging around (50 + 100 + BG)

    Switch to BG = 2 2nd stages hanging around (50 + BG) then (BG + 100)

    It's just about eliminating risk. Breathing the wrong gas is still a considerable root cause of too many diving related accidents. This, along with proper bottle marking and buddy verification, helps minimize the risk.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    largo, FL
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Switch from 50 to 100, stow the 50 regulator afterwards. No need to make mountains out of molehills.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. What bottles do you use for Deco Gas?
    By Paulmal in forum Polls
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-11-2013, 03:28 PM
  2. Deco bottles found at Madison Blue
    By ltowles in forum Lost & Found
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
  3. Here's the links for 2 of my pony/deco bottles on ebay
    By Doctor H in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 07:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts