Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    284

    Default Insulation patch in JB

    Found a small layer of insulation in JB, much smaller than the insulation in Ginnie, maybe 3x6 ft and thinner, just a few inches, if that. I think it is new as I have been through that particular area several times in the past and I don't remember seeing it (or anywhere else in JB for that matter). I thought that was very cool. Anybody has any idea what leads to the formation of the insulation layer?


  2. #2

    Default

    I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds fascinating.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,864

    Default

    I remember seeing some in JB years ago. It was off Deloach's Delight / Source Neavu. Maunds has more of it than any cave I have ever seen.


  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Found a small layer of insulation in JB, much smaller than the insulation in Ginnie, maybe 3x6 ft and thinner, just a few inches, if that. I think it is new as I have been through that particular area several times in the past and I don't remember seeing it (or anywhere else in JB for that matter). I thought that was very cool. Anybody has any idea what leads to the formation of the insulation layer?
    They are called biofilms, and Jason Gulley has theorized they may be sulphur seep. They are fairly common and Ginnie's Insulation tunnel is only one location, plus they take on different appearances. They are located in low flow areas normally, and at one time the one in the Insulation tunnel used to be very thick,but traffic has had an impact on it.

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  5. #5

    Default

    Does someone have a picture of this?


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marianna, FL
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaveSloth View Post
    Does someone have a picture of this?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_466520100320.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	705.3 KB
ID:	21041


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Is that in JB? What I saw was a much smaller patch.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I remember seeing some in JB years ago. It was off Deloach's Delight / Source Neavu. Maunds has more of it than any cave I have ever seen.
    That's the area. Maybe I didn't see it previously as it's off the line and I'm too cheap to buy a big boys light


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marianna, FL
    Posts
    394

    Default

    No, that photo was taken at Maunds as it has thick mats of it. I've seen small patches in various areas of JB and other caves before. The small ones might just have a few penny sized balls of it. As Kelly said it is found in low flow areas, probably because it is easily dispersed if there is current. I suspected it was forming in areas that meet the above criteria and maybe had some surface water being drained into that area.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Anybody has any idea what leads to the formation of the insulation layer?

    A very simplified answer per my wife who is finishing her masters in a related field studying caves and aquifers is that the biofilm is created by bacteria (and they now believe a fungus can be involved as well) that proliferate due to the ability to metabolize nutrients that are introduced into their environment. As Kelly stated that Jason Gulley has said that things such as sulfur and other compounds we wouldn't consider to be nutrients, are nutrients to these colonies. The static water in the areas where they proliferate are a major factor since they're delicate, but also the water chemistry locally is also not constantly affected by flow which can lead to the right nutrients building to levels needed for growth in that particular area.

    There is way more both known and not 100% proven that my wife went into, but it was all got very boring. So the simplified explanation above is the easiest to digest. Just don't take it as a complete answer, as it's only the tip of the iceberg.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Devils Insulation Tunnel
    By odin in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-20-2015, 01:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts