Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    a rainy island in AK
    Posts
    131

    Default

    mike, if your suit is about to go, i highly recommend getting one custom made from wet wear, in florida. they are pricey, but they are quality and last forever. i used mine for nearly ten years as an instructor on dives from lake champlain to the keys and never had any issues. build in a trip to south east florida during your cave vacation, get measured up, and then do some nice wreck dives with the new trimix cert.


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    in the cold north
    Posts
    130

    Default

    I use wetsuits allot for trimix diving, in Canada, USA, and Europe in the summer time and during the winter months switch to a dry suit. It depends on the individual and the water temperature.


  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Thanks! I'll definitely check out wet wear. As for wreck diving, every wreck dive would just be a missed opportunity to do a cave dive!


  4. #24
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    +2 on the Wet Wear. I have two of them. One for the caves (rubatex). And one for the salt that barely get used anymore though.

    http://www.wetwear.com

    The rubatex suit has been a pleasure to dive with. The fit is so good , I often find I am dry around my core at the end of a dive.

    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

    The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Alachua, FL
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Hey Morgan. I dive the deeps either wet or dry depending on the time of year. If you dive dry in summer, the deco sucks 'cause the basins are warm as heck, just make sure you have some form of back up buoyancy if diving wet and good luck with class...
    P.S. a 7/5 is fine...

    Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    You will compress the wetsuit into uselessness fairly quickly if you are diving at real trimix depths.
    I'm pretty sure Rick Crawford does all his dives in a wetsuit, IIRC.
    I have done them in a wetsuit. I'd rather be cold than have to pee for 3 hours. Ultimately, if you don't get cold, and you have some redundant lift, I don't see an issue with it.


  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Age
    53
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Wetsuits are great... simple and easy and I like the feeling of actually being in the water "wet."

    River diving from a canoe in sidemount is much easier in a wetsuit.

    I been diving wet for hundreds of cave dives on trimix CCR etc. After about three hours wet and beyond I start to feel a little chilled but it's no worse than being on a snowy mountain snowboarding all day...

    After saying all that, I recently have been able to finally afford a good drysuit and it is awesome! I'm amazed at how warm and toasty I feel in a drysuit.

    Buoyancy control in CCR is significantly easier with a dry suit.


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I dove for years in California in my custom made 10mil wetsuit. Made by Deep Thought Wetsuits in Oxnard, CA. Did all of my OC Tri Mix diving with it and never got cold. Or had any issues. Always dove a large double bladder wing and never experienced anything

    Doing my Normoxic training on my Evo with the little wing was no problem. But once I started my Hypoxic training I started noticing a lift issue. During a bailout scenario at 200' I noticed not enough lift in the wing and had to kick up a little ways. On my final dive at 250' on one of our deeper oil rigs here, I dropped down and hit the button and heard the OPV let go. Managed to stop at 275'. Thumbed the dive and kicked up, once I got to about 175' I regained lift and no other issues.

    I bought my first dry suit on my way home.

    I just ordered a new suit from Deep Thought for cave diving. I'm not really sure how you guys dive dry in 73F water temps. And if necessary I can crawl out of a cave


  9. #29
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DGraham View Post
    ... And if necessary I can crawl out of a cave
    I take it you haven't dived Eagle's Nest?

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eustis, FL
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Yah, it'd be pretty hard to climb out of EN. I wonder if I could do it. I'd imagine I'd have to go around the ballroom somewhere and find a hand hold, then rock climb all the way back to the entrance.

    Hmmm, would be interesting to try.



 

Similar Threads

  1. VR-3 Trimix
    By Clay Davis in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 07:38 AM
  2. That's not a wetsuit
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 09:38 PM
  3. FS: 6.5 Wetsuit
    By cassadaga in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 02:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts