Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    29

    Default Caves to dive near DisneyWorld?

    I'm going with the family to disneyworld in February and would love to sneak away for a day to dive. Looking for any suggestions on any nearby caves generally open to the public. Right now Manatee s the only one coming to mind. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

    "I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am..."

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    620

    Default

    I wouldn’t consider Manatee to be very close to LBV.... if you are going that far north, Ginnie is probably closer given you can stay on I75 longer.

    What level dives are you looking for?


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Since I'm breaking away from the group for just one day I'd prefer to keep the diving level a bit on the lighter side, anything similar to peacock, little river, etc...... I don't need boardwalks and stands and such though, I'm totally fine tromping through whatever and humping my gear if there's something worthwhile and close where access is allowed.

    "I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am..."

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Default

    The closest one would be 40 fathom grotto, blue grotto or devils den. Manatee was awful 3 weeks ago.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    21mi north o'DAB
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Paradise Spring has cavern (Ocala). You can always have a nice day snorkeling Silver Glen, Alexander Spring, or Salt Spring. At this time of the year it is the best chance to avoid the crowds and these warm water springs are full of life now. Rainbow River is another one. If you need to dive I would just go to Ginnie as it is close to I75 probably the best logistics.

    ARY (Photo, video)

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver View Post
    The closest one would be 40 fathom grotto, blue grotto or devils den. Manatee was awful 3 weeks ago.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    40 fathom is a thing now? when did it open back up?

    Why yes that was me in shorts and a t-shirt oops, a drysuit @ the 700' marker

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twaldo View Post
    40 fathom is a thing now? when did it open back up?
    Pretty sure it didnt


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, looks like I'll just drive a couple hours to get to Ginnie.

    "I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am..."

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    167

    Default

    You could always look at http://www.caveatlas.com and get a idea what's around the area.

    Eric


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Western Ohio
    Posts
    22

    Default

    We camped at manatee a few weeks ago and were told at the office that ow diving is allowed, but no cave diving was permitted do to the death last year...



 

Similar Threads

  1. In need of transport to dive caves
    By Hong Kong cave diver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 05:23 AM
  2. new caves to dive?
    By Phil in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts