Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default Worms or some sort of fungus on lines that is photo sensitive?

    I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this but I figured I would ask. Anyone good with fresh water biology in 39f/4c water?

    I've been doing a lot of diving in an old marble quarry in Vermont (It's been posted on here before..It's called Esperanza / True Blue quarry). It's an old flooded marble mine that has some "cave" passages with guidelines setup.

    The last couple trips up there me and another friend have noticed some sort of organism or fungus present on the lines well outside the light zone. It looks like almost fuzz on the lines. So far I've only seen them on one section of the line. When you shine your primary onto them they immediately retract back into the line. They look like purple dots. I tried getting a picture this week but couldn't focus well enough in macro without shining light on them before they disappeared.

    This is a really bad picture but gives you sort of an idea of what it looks like. It's dark purple in appearance (at least when I shine my primary on it)

    http://imgur.com/pmouiFT

    Any ideas? I may try taking a sample of them next week.


  2. #2

    Default

    Never heard of that but sounds really cool

    Dominican Republic Speleological Society
    http://dr-ss.com
    Aquavista Films LLC.
    http://www.aquavistafilms.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Roaming in cenote land
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Try again. Would love to see. Sounds neat

    Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Branford, Florida
    Age
    75
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Be careful there. They used lead and arsenic in the mining process years and years ago. We found an "underwater river" in the deep section that probably was loaded with heavy metals.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogDiver View Post
    Be careful there. They used lead and arsenic in the mining process years and years ago. We found an "underwater river" in the deep section that probably was loaded with heavy metals.
    Have seen something similar up there I think. There is definitely some "interesting" stuff in the water up there.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Nematodes? They come in all sizes, passive to predatory to parasitic. Maybe not light sensitive, but motion, water movement, alerted them. Find an aquatic nematode professor at local college and take her a snippet of the line for a closer look. Possible new species.

    Skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I actually spotted these first on the dive with macado. I had a hard time figuring out appropriate hand signals for "come look at the tiny worms that retract into the line as soon as you shine your light on them."

    Nematodes are an interesting idea! These little things were definitely photosensitive, since we could look at them ok with very dim light from the edge of our primaries, but they retracted as soon as the light got brighter. I was able to find a reference that some species of nematodes are photosensitive. Definitely worth more investigation.

    They're mainly of interest as the only life we've spotted in the system.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Yeah. Confuted spoted them first. Of course I had no idea what he was trying to signal because every time he shined his light on the line they retracted back into it.

    I think I will try to collect a sample next time I am up there. It's more out of curiosity than anything at this point


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Reviving this thread. I was finally able to get a sample of whatever these worms or fungus are.. I have a contact with specialty in marine inveterbrates so hopefully they can help me identify what we're looking at, if only out of curiosity..

    Took another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtE_AbNknus I need better video lights.
    Max depth: 95fsw Water temp: 39f (4c). Visibility: 30-40ft


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    I saw something in a mine in Missouri that reminded me of this thread. I could see them (tiny worms? White body with a purplish tip) moving freely in the water column around me. They would completely freeze when they entered my lights then start moving again when the beam was off them... kinda freaky

    Sent via

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL


 

Similar Threads

  1. Knotting your lines.
    By JE in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2016, 01:44 PM
  2. Double Lines
    By Rick Palm in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 08:46 AM
  3. Ginnie Lines
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 05:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts