Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default Tricks to extend the life of a tube of Aquaseal

    I had to do repair a pin hole dry suit leak and it only took a very minute dab of Aquaseal. My frustration is that I will make that repair, and when I need that tube again 6 months later, it is hard as a brick, and unable to get any content. I did something different, I made a pin hole opening from the end, got the dab I needed, and covered that hole up. Not sure if that will help,but gotta try something. Anybody have any tricks to get the complete (fairly complete) content of a tube of Aquaseal over a significant period of time???

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I had to do repair a pin hole dry suit leak and it only took a very minute dab of Aquaseal. My frustration is that I will make that repair, and when I need that tube again 6 months later, it is hard as a brick, and unable to get any content. I did something different, I made a pin hole opening from the end, got the dab I needed, and covered that hole up. Not sure if that will help,but gotta try something. Anybody have any tricks to get the complete (fairly complete) content of a tube of Aquaseal over a significant period of time???
    I haven't tried it with Aquaseal, but refrigeration extends the life of some glues.

    Your trick might at least keep the hardening to the area near the pinhole.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Put it in a ziplock bag, throw it in the freezer. When you need that tube, let it sit under a running faucet for ~10 minutes.

    Ken Sallot

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    4,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Put it in a ziplock bag, throw it in the freezer. When you need that tube, let it sit under a running faucet for ~10 minutes.
    Exactly what gamble says to do. I use boiling water, throw it and the aquaseal in a coffee cup with the screw lid out of the water


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    southeast of disorder
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Put it in a ziplock bag, throw it in the freezer. When you need that tube, let it sit under a running faucet for ~10 minutes.
    +1.

    "Cave diving is for grown ups. Make grown up decisions."
    -AJ

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL - USA
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    I just buy a bunch of the 1/4 Oz mini tubes. If one goes bad it's not a big deal and they're reasonably priced.

    - Jeff

    Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Third kensuf's suggestion. Been doing it for years (same very large tube)...

    For traveling I have several tiny one use tubes...

    Dive safe,

    Celia

    "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

    ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

  8. #8
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Yeah, it's like with Krazy Glue. Once it's opened, that's it. I always wait until I have several things that need to be glued, then I buy the smallest tube, glue everything, then throw the tube in the garbage.

    You can get three tubes for a dollar at Dollar Tree.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Freeze it, been doing it for years

    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Panama City/Homosassa, FL
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Like others said freeze it and thaw with hot water. Tube will last years.

    Mark Sumner


 

Similar Threads

  1. Mental Tricks for Mixing
    By aainslie in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2010, 05:28 PM
  2. Extend Battery life?
    By Tegg in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 08:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts