Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Default A Few Place Name Questions About Ginnie

    Sherwood Split?

    Hillier Tunnel?

    Henkle?

    B/S Tunnel?

    Hill 400 Line?

    Just looking for information about where the names came from and the people.

    Thanks!


    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cozumel, Mexico por el invierno
    Posts
    144

    Default

    This is a good thread. I'm sure a lot of old timers "know" but it would be nice if there was a history somewhere. Hopefully others can expand on this..

    Reading some of the old NSS-CDS newsletters from the 1970-1980s is always pretty fun. https://nsscds.org/wp-content/upload..._Vol_6_006.pdf

    Lewis Henkel - Early 1970s cave explorer for which the Henkel is named.
    Ken Hillier (NSS 17589) - Hillier Tunnel.
    I *think* Sherwood Split was named for Sherwood Schile but I dont know if that's true or if there is a story here.

    Last edited by macado; 04-07-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add more info

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hinckley, Ohio
    Age
    67
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Hill 400? That one’s pretty easy - because the jump is approximately at the 400ft mark.


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OWSI176288 View Post
    Hill 400? That one?s pretty easy - because the jump is approximately at the 400ft mark.
    Is it really???

    Or, does the Hill begin about 400? from the jump (which is actually at about 550?p).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    high springs
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Draker View Post
    Is it really???

    Or, does the Hill begin about 400? from the jump (which is actually at about 550?p).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Draker is correct. The jump to the Hill is at 550Ish, and 400 feet later, you start to swim up the Hill. Now you know!


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Draker is correct. Now you know!
    I don?t hear this nearly enough!!!

    Thanks Brent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Aston, PA
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Draker is correct. The jump to the Hill is at 550Ish, and 400 feet later, you start to swim up the Hill. Now you know!

    This makes sense. I had heard that years ago the Hill400 jump was closer to the 400 ft arrow and then over time it was determined the distance on the gold line was wrong. I also read recently that the gold line started at one time in the keyhole (way before my days), and I could certainly see how you would get inconsistent running line through the gallery and lips each dive.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Aston, PA
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I actually was looking at the map the other day and was going to post some questions, you covered some of mine, like B/S Tunnel, but while the thread is going I'll ask.



    Lins Line?



    Where exactly is "Skid Row" Is it the horeshoe circuit behind the bats or is it the tunnel connecting that horseshoe circuit to the double lines circuit?



    Is Sherwood split the first "T" north of the double lines circuit (as seen on the Hancock Map) or is further east (as seen on the Berman Map)? Or is it just generally the whole area?


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    high springs
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitsap_diver View Post
    I actually was looking at the map the other day and was going to post some questions, you covered some of mine, like B/S Tunnel, but while the thread is going I'll ask.



    Lins Line?



    Where exactly is "Skid Row" Is it the horeshoe circuit behind the bats or is it the tunnel connecting that horseshoe circuit to the double lines circuit?



    Is Sherwood split the first "T" north of the double lines circuit (as seen on the Hancock Map) or is further east (as seen on the Berman Map)? Or is it just generally the whole area?
    Let me address the "skid row" question first. The second part of your question is the correct answer. Skid row connects the Double Lines to the Bat circuit line. The line is, for the most part, a straight shot between the two circuits. It's a stand alone line. No T's. You gap in and you gap out. Lots of silt but nothing a good experienced diver can't handle. take it slow!! Not sure of what you're asking about the Sherwood Split line. Send me a PM, if interested, and we can discuss it.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    On a boat somewhere
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitsap_diver View Post
    This makes sense. I had heard that years ago the Hill400 jump was closer to the 400 ft arrow and then over time it was determined the distance on the gold line was wrong. I also read recently that the gold line started at one time in the keyhole (way before my days), and I could certainly see how you would get inconsistent running line through the gallery and lips each dive.

    I had always assumed Hill 400 was a somewhat obscure WWII history reference... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_400,_Bergstein



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts