Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Arizona or traveling
    Posts
    338

    Default Caves in the Middle East?

    Anybody got any info on any caves in and around the Middle East? I know there's Bimmah/Dibab in Oman, but info is pretty slight. I saw a youtube video and there's some line, but I'm stuck there. 20m, 40m, goes, doesn't go, can't seem to get any information to agree.

    I'm based in Dubai now, so pretty much everything involves some travel anyway. Just want to find something other than the ocean around here.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Anybody got any info on any caves in and around the Middle East? I know there's Bimmah/Dibab in Oman, but info is pretty slight. I saw a youtube video and there's some line, but I'm stuck there. 20m, 40m, goes, doesn't go, can't seem to get any information to agree.

    I'm based in Dubai now, so pretty much everything involves some travel anyway. Just want to find something other than the ocean around here.
    I did a search once, and a large number of first magnitude springs are in the middle east. They are called Oases. The problem is they are considered sacred, so getting permission is tricky, especially for a non Moslem.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Age
    64
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Maybe Forrest can act as our "Tribal Elder" and negotiate access???


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I remember reading an article on diving Ain Heet cave in Saudi Arabia South of Riyadh. I'm not sure what access is like and getting to the water would take some work. Here is some more info about it:

    http://www.splendidarabia.com/destin...nce/heet-cave/

    An adventure is never fun while it's happening

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    41

    Default


    Last edited by tjbald11; 11-01-2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: found more links

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjbald11 View Post
    Oh WOW! Chris needs to be looking for an ME job in Saudi

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Arizona or traveling
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I did a search once, and a large number of first magnitude springs are in the middle east. They are called Oases. The problem is they are considered sacred, so getting permission is tricky, especially for a non Moslem.
    I may have a lead on a go-between here in the UAE and in Oman. One of our suppliers at work has several contracts to provide exclusive rigging services to the owners of some of the cave systems in the region. Probably won't be any movement for a bit, but I'm hopeful. He's also the Sterling Ropes distributor for the GCC so he's going to ask Sterling if they can manufacture some bulk cave line in the event there's water and we get permission from the Sheik.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    I may have a lead on a go-between here in the UAE and in Oman. One of our suppliers at work has several contracts to provide exclusive rigging services to the owners of some of the cave systems in the region. Probably won't be any movement for a bit, but I'm hopeful. He's also the Sterling Ropes distributor for the GCC so he's going to ask Sterling if they can manufacture some bulk cave line in the event there's water and we get permission from the Sheik.
    Let me know, I have always wanted to dive in Saudi, or anywhere in the area.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Hawiyat Najm in Oman is supposedly also connected to the sea, but I have not been able to find further information on this. At least there, it seems to be a common swimming spot.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Muscat, Oman
    Age
    38
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Huweit Najim, or Bimmah sinkhole does have brackish water but I'm fairly certain there is no passable route to the sea.
    I've dived it to 42m, and it keeps going. I'm told it bottoms at about 64+/-m with no continuation. I did once see a survey of it, but can't remember where.

    Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-AL00 using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. Middle Ear Infections
    By Webmaster in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
  2. Middle ear infections from dives this week
    By divers4life in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
  3. Thank you CE east
    By BillBowden in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 11:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts