Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    538

    Default WTB DUI wrist zip seals

    looking for some wrist seals for a DUI TLS 350 with the zippers. Got a suite and the wrist seals are missing due to dry rot.
    Any pointers are appreciated where to buy them cheap or if anyone has some laying around or what you do when they need to be replaced. I kind of liked the idea that they are replaceable within minutes but did not know that they are that expensive.
    Do you guys recommend the heavy duty ones or the normal ones?

    thx


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Call Steve at http://www.gamblescuba.com, he is very friendly, and probably would sell you seals.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Without doubt the heavy duty ones, they last much longer. But cut them so they are still tight, otherwise they will leak enough to get you wet to the elbows. Expensive? Yes, until you compare to shipping your suit somewhere to have a seal replaced; throw in the disappointment of missed dive/s and they are a bargain. So to take advantage of the feature you must buy 2 sets and keep a spare set on hand. This is much more economical when your buddies also dive DUI, as you really only need a pair of seals to back up several divers on a given weekend.

    WJH


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vonore, TN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WJH View Post
    Without doubt the heavy duty ones, they last much longer. But cut them so they are still tight, otherwise they will leak enough to get you wet to the elbows. Expensive? Yes, until you compare to shipping your suit somewhere to have a seal replaced; throw in the disappointment of missed dive/s and they are a bargain. So to take advantage of the feature you must buy 2 sets and keep a spare set on hand. This is much more economical when your buddies also dive DUI, as you really only need a pair of seals to back up several divers on a given weekend.

    WJH
    Yep, Zip Seals saved a dive for me one day...just popped off the torn seal, and popped on another...in the water after a few minutes instead of calling the dive. Don't have backups at the moment, but my regular dive buddy and I are splitting the cost of a pair to take with us as backups next month on a trip to cave country. Like you said, $120 +/- is not all that expensive considering the cost of shipping off your suit, cost of the replacement, and the usual 3-week turnaround time. I'm still trying to find that mythical 3-week no-diving peirod to send my suit off to have a pocket repaired/replaced. I just keep glue-patching it and diving. Maybe the Christmas holidays will keep me busy enough to do without the suit for a while. I need a backup suit is what I need...will the $$ bleeding ever stop?!

    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TJDiver View Post
    Yep, Zip Seals saved a dive for me one day...just popped off the torn seal, and popped on another...in the water after a few minutes instead of calling the dive. Don't have backups at the moment, but my regular dive buddy and I are splitting the ...... I need a backup suit is what I need...will the $$ bleeding ever stop?!
    No. the bleeding will continue. Just be glad you don't own a boat!

    skip

    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I contacted Steve yesterday, he does not have them/ or sells them. I might need to get some work done to the suite in the near future and will go with him.

    Other than that it looks like that the zip seals only come from dui, so prices are the same wherever I looked. Some people replace the latex seals and reuse the zip lock system. But for that you need some old ones which I do not have. Unless someone has some old broken ones that he wants to get rid of ........
    This might be the way to go for a 2nd set or a replacement seal as spare.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    538

    Default

    I read somewhere that DUi wants to come out with some all silicone seals that are easier to produce for them. I think right now the zip system is silicone and the seals are latex and need to be hand glued together during manufacturing. Maybe they will come out at DEMA, who knows.
    Do you guys think it is worth it to wait and buy them at DEMA, never been but I might go this year. Don't know if they run special offers during DEMA.


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Vonore, TN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    No. the bleeding will continue. Just be glad you don't own a boat!

    skip
    Oh, I suffer from boat bleedinig too! Ya know..."boat" is actually an acronym...Break Out Another Thousand.

    Sorry to hijack your thread, huxley. The Zip Seals are kinda pricey, but I really like them...pop on seals for summer and caves...pop on Zip Gloves for local winter diving...hard to beat. I even have the Zip system for my neck seal...along with a backup for that too. Paranoia is expensive!

    Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    538

    Default

    no problem with the hijacking. how was it with boats? You spend 1/3 of the purchase price every year on repairs or something like that, guess this is based on you buy it new and not for a pennies on a dollar because it's broken or old.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    I contacted Steve yesterday, he does not have them/ or sells them. I might need to get some work done to the suite in the near future and will go with him.

    Other than that it looks like that the zip seals only come from dui, so prices are the same wherever I looked. Some people replace the latex seals and reuse the zip lock system. But for that you need some old ones which I do not have. Unless someone has some old broken ones that he wants to get rid of ........
    This might be the way to go for a 2nd set or a replacement seal as spare.
    Extreme Exposure sells them.

    Also you can glue new seals onto the old holders. Search over on TDS for info with that.

    -James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 08:50 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 08:15 AM
  3. WTB Wrist seals & neck seals
    By Cavediver38 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 09:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts