Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    fort lauderdale fla
    Age
    66
    Posts
    284

    Default shells in manatee springs

    so i was diving in manatee springs a few weeks ago, and saw many scallop shells. who can tell me if they are fresh water scallops or at one time salt water scallops? what is the history of these shells?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    245

    Default shells

    The cave at Manatee is formed in the Ocala limestone. The Ocala limestone was formed as a shallow sea deposit. If you look closely in the walls you will see fossil crab claws, sea urchin shells, or spines, and the fossil that defines the Ocala: lepidocyclina. Lepidocyclina is a foraminifera that was quite abundant in the time period that formed the Ocala.

    Short answer: salt water.

    Jerry


  3. #3
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    There is a GREAT article about the origin of these caves (and the related shells) in the new cave diving book. I've read it three times so far, and learned a little more each time.

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Port St Lucie , FL
    Posts
    50

    Default How'd he know that?

    I am often amazed at the bits of knowledge posted on this forum.
    Just how in the hell did you people get to be so %$#! smart?

    Experience is a comb which nature gives us when we are bald. ~Proverb

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict View Post
    I am often amazed at the bits of knowledge posted on this forum.
    Just how in the hell did you people get to be so %$#! smart?
    Jerry is a geologist, SSKasser reads a lot.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    High Springs
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Finaddict View Post
    I am often amazed at the bits of knowledge posted on this forum.
    Just how in the hell did you people get to be so %$#! smart?
    Too many years of University, lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$, and nearly 20 years of studying the caves in either my geologic consulting job or personal research.

    Jerry


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    It was on a Laffy Taffy wrapper?


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    3,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sskasser View Post
    There is a GREAT article about the origin of these caves (and the related shells) in the new cave diving book.
    You don't say?

    I knew people would like it.


  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Winterville, NC
    Age
    57
    Posts
    644

    Default

    hee hee! we were there this week & there were several clean white not-attached-to-rock scallop shells at the bottom of sue's. those, i think, are leftovers from someone's dinner!

    proud cave tourist!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Manatee Springs
    By jj1987 in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 07:11 AM
  2. Manatee Springs
    By tflaris in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 01:25 PM
  3. Manatee Springs
    By Walter Pickel in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 07:51 AM
  4. Manatee Springs 04-09-05
    By Alan Owens in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 04:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts