Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Age
    62
    Posts
    370

    Default

    I was only there Friday. I had a boat behind my truck. I went to Morrison after that and other locations nearby on Saturday and then to Marianna on Sunday.


  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tifton,Georgia
    Age
    38
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spd 135 View Post
    I was only there Friday. I had a boat behind my truck. I went to Morrison after that and other locations nearby on Saturday and then to Marianna on Sunday.
    Ah i got yea we must have just passed you then.

    Joseph

    There is no limit. We'll always find a way to go deeper and deeper. That's been the pattern all along.

    --Sheck Exley

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    From what I understand the lights and airbell are there because the previous owners knew it was going to be pointless to try to keep OW divers out of there so they might as well make it easier for them to get out by lighting the way. I have mixed feelings on this.

    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,450

    Default

    Its actually kinda pretty behind the gate. *shrugs*

    Its back mountable to a point, you just won't see the end of the line.


  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watauga TX
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    From what I understand the lights and airbell are there because the previous owners knew it was going to be pointless to try to keep OW divers out of there so they might as well make it easier for them to get out by lighting the way. I have mixed feelings on this.
    While I'm not thrilled for the reason that the lights are in there, I went back there, covered my light and just hovered for at least 10 minutes, kind of pretty.


  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Panama City Florida
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Although I don't go any longer, but when I did I would not only leave the gate open once inboard of the gate but I would also take the lock with me not knowing who else might have a key and potentially lock me in. That gate is a perfect place for the use of a come-along to remove that rusted piece of krap.


  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixxervi6 View Post
    While I'm not thrilled for the reason that the lights are in there, I went back there, covered my light and just hovered for at least 10 minutes, kind of pretty.
    Did the exact same thing, very erie with the green glow.


  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawCaver View Post
    Although I don't go any longer, but when I did I would not only leave the gate open once inboard of the gate but I would also take the lock with me not knowing who else might have a key and potentially lock me in. That gate is a perfect place for the use of a come-along to remove that rusted piece of krap.
    Closing the gate, but taking the lock with you, was the recomended procedure in the site briefing they gave me a couple weeks ago.

    John Naschek
    Canton Georgia

  9. #19
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southport (Panama City), FL
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,732

    Default

    I haven't heard of anyone getting locked in. However, imagine if you take the lock with you, jump off the main line, and MISS another team entering who doesn't have a key "because it's already checked out." You then put the lock back on as you leave.

    I like Vince's idea.

    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

    My name is Shirley Kasser Creech and I approve this message. Well, at least one of me does, anyway. Maybe. Fire. Sharp things. Squirrel!

    Shirley you're not serious? No, I'm not, but do stop calling me Shirley.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sskasser View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone getting locked in. However, imagine if you take the lock with you, jump off the main line, and MISS another team entering who doesn't have a key "because it's already checked out." You then put the lock back on as you leave.

    I like Vince's idea.
    Reserving the right to object,
    I dont know whether they allow more than one team in at a time or not, but , It just isnt reasonable to think that a team could be exiting without knowing that someone else is in the system.

    As far as a gate. Like most of us, I'm for minimal impact on any of the systems we dive in. However, With as much OW training that occurs at this site, I think the gate is a necessary evil. In fact, I found a snorkel back close to the gate when I dove.

    John Naschek
    Canton Georgia


 

Similar Threads

  1. cave story on TV
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 04:55 PM
  2. Story on Blue Springs State Park
    By Cave Ranger in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 11:46 AM
  3. Another eBay too good to be true?
    By DogDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts