Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tifton,Georgia
    Age
    38
    Posts
    263

    Default True story behind vortex?

    I was just down at vortex doing some open water doubels dives to get used to them and looked around into the cavern and a little bit in the cave. so my question is this if you are wonting to keep open water divers from going into the cave then why put an airbell and chritmas lights all the way to about 300 feet into the cave??? And what the story with the gate down there?? Just curious and wonted to know when they did all this and why?

    Joseph

    There is no limit. We'll always find a way to go deeper and deeper. That's been the pattern all along.

    --Sheck Exley

  2. #2

    Default

    If you are full cave, you can get the key for the gate. I have never been back there, but have done alot of cavern dives at Vortex.

    From what I have heard, it is mostly side mount and no mount back there.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watauga TX
    Posts
    449

    Default

    There is going back mount beyond the grate, not sure how many feet but its tight, your belly will be pushing through sand in spots (well, if your as round as I am it will be) and it gets deep in parts, I hit 140, when I got toward the back there was like an open room with a split in the line, I believe it was a 'T' I can't remember now its been a while, from there I wouldn't go any further in back mount.


  4. #4

    Default

    http://www.floridacaves.com/vortexcave.JPG
    I am not sure where the gate is on this map, but I think it is right after the first room. notice the ceiling heights.
    there is a better map out there, but I dont know where it is though.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tifton,Georgia
    Age
    38
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    http://www.floridacaves.com/vortexcave.JPG
    I am not sure where the gate is on this map, but I think it is right after the first room. notice the ceiling heights.
    there is a better map out there, but I dont know where it is though.
    You are correct the gate is passed the first room i think its 300 ft back ito the cave the air bell is in the firrst room with christmas lights. When did they put the gate up?

    Joseph

    There is no limit. We'll always find a way to go deeper and deeper. That's been the pattern all along.

    --Sheck Exley

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J_glenn06 View Post
    You are correct the gate is passed the first room i think its 300 ft back ito the cave the air bell is in the firrst room with christmas lights. When did they put the gate up?
    I have no idea. I first dove there in 2002, and it was there then.

    anyone else know?


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J_glenn06 View Post
    You are correct the gate is passed the first room i think its 300 ft back ito the cave the air bell is in the firrst room with christmas lights. When did they put the gate up?
    That project was already underway in the late '70s.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers


 

Similar Threads

  1. cave story on TV
    By IowaCaveDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 04:55 PM
  2. Story on Blue Springs State Park
    By Cave Ranger in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 11:46 AM
  3. Another eBay too good to be true?
    By DogDiver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts