Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Now people will be huffing Xenon bulbs.
    With these qualities who can resist..."Xenon is non-toxic, although it does dissolve in blood and belongs to a select group of substances that penetrate the blood-brain barrier, causing mild to full surgical anesthesia when inhaled in high concentrations with oxygen." Stolen from Wikipedia.


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Palm View Post
    All of these points are well-taken. It doesn't make sense to trade nitrogen for oxygen for a dubious decrease in narcosis, and less deco time: The complications of O2 toxicity are certainly a lot worse than N2 toxicity. My bet is that even helium has some narcosis associated with it: that's the way it seemed to me in the back of DiePolder III several years ago. With limited PO2 and PN2, that was the only explanation.

    Of course, perhaps it is all because I have a lower mental status to begin with!

    But I agree with all of the assessments above: better to put up with the inconveniences of a higher PN2, than risk a potentially fatal O2 hit. I'll stick with 32%.

    (Incidentally, I don't consider the Devil's Ear/Eye system a "high flow" system, if you know where the sweet spots are!)
    Try some Trimix 30/30, and see if it helps at Devil's Eye.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sarasota, Fl
    Posts
    275

    Default

    After an apparent 02-induced seizure and fatality @ Devils several years ago, my team discussed what %02 we felt comfortable diving, and decided to dial back to 31% for that system, for an extra buffer at depth. So many variables go into determining a "safe" level of 02 exposure at depth that we thought as GWB1 would say, this was "prudent".


  4. #24
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Looks like i'd like to brew up a little xenonox for the next galaxy dive at ginnie...
    Didn't Sheck decide even Argox was WAY too narcosis-inducing? Xenonox would be about ten times as bad, right?

    Seems like Argox would be the mix of choice.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watauga TX
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I think that 99% of felt nacrosis is state of mind, if you go in thinking, I"m on 32 I won't narc as much, you won't, if you go in on air thinking, damn I'm gonna narc, your gonna narc. I've seen people totally go blitzo at 80 feet on nitrox - and it was their state of mind that did it to them, you can tell who is gonna freak before you even get in the water sometimes.

    Usually its the hoovers (from what I've observed) that narc out to the point you have to grab them because their pupils do that cartoon thing, so my non professional opnion about that is, they are hoovering due to discomfort/anxiety mix that with a touch of narcosis and flipzoid

    I can tell "something is up" as shallow as 60 feet, my complex mental math skills (not that I have many to start with) start to be affected around 60 feet, when I get to 90 - 100 ish I can tell when I've hit the depth just by "how I feel".

    Around 150 feet my motor skills start getting impacted, so I've decided that was my max depth on air that I would do, ever, just because my hands don't work as well, I have to move real slow working clips etc so I figure thats deep enough, espeically with helium now.

    On trimix I count o2 as narcotic, my buddy I dive mix with doesn't.

    I've dove 30/30 in Devils and I thought it was a perfect mix for the dive

    Dark Eternal - I'd be curious how your wife would feel if you slipped her some 21 and told her it was 32 obviously not a good idea, but the results would be interesting, it would rule out the placebo affect.

    First time I took my wife down to 120 on air in a nasty lake, I asked her how she did when it was over, she was like, everything was fine I couldn't tell a difference, I said, thats becase you were narcin, if you are at 120 and you "are not narcing" and feel 100% normal, that means your narced


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    553

    Default This one?

    Quote Originally Posted by MORGAN View Post
    As a fellow 1958 model, I cling to the idea that "geezer gas" reduces fatigue! Don't go bursting my (Nitrox) bubble!

    I forget who said it - "The great tragedy of science - a beautiful theory destroyed by an ugly fact."

    Mike
    "The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."
    Thomas Henry Huxley

    When you're there you know there's a There there.
    Jobst Brandt

  7. #27
    Special Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    This thread has got me thinking, i always wondered why i was so addicted to diving, it's the nitrogen. Nitrogen is your friend. I am going to start trying varios hypoxic bimixes (maybe just hypoxic nitrox works as a term as well). Maybe a nice nitrox 16.

    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

    "Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

  8. #28
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Come by one of the shops where I work and I'll fill your cylinder with normoxic nitrox for six bucks!

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    This thread has got me thinking, i always wondered why i was so addicted to diving, it's the nitrogen. Nitrogen is your friend. I am going to start trying varios hypoxic bimixes (maybe just hypoxic nitrox works as a term as well). Maybe a nice nitrox 16.
    Actually Bill, you're not too wide of the mark. Narcosis and anesthesia are just different points on the same spectrum. In the early days of dental anesthesia for children, it was common practice to give them 100% nitrous oxide, as the hypoxia helped get them asleep faster. A little oxygen (maybe 10%) would be dialled in when they got really blue!

    Andy


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixxervi6 View Post
    I think that 99% of felt nacrosis is state of mind, if you go in thinking, I"m on 32 I won't narc as much, you won't, if you go in on air thinking, damn I'm gonna narc, your gonna narc. I've seen people totally go blitzo at 80 feet on nitrox - and it was their state of mind that did it to them, you can tell who is gonna freak before you even get in the water sometimes.

    Usually its the hoovers (from what I've observed) that narc out to the point you have to grab them because their pupils do that cartoon thing, so my non professional opnion about that is, they are hoovering due to discomfort/anxiety mix that with a touch of narcosis and flipzoid

    I can tell "something is up" as shallow as 60 feet, my complex mental math skills (not that I have many to start with) start to be affected around 60 feet, when I get to 90 - 100 ish I can tell when I've hit the depth just by "how I feel".

    Around 150 feet my motor skills start getting impacted, so I've decided that was my max depth on air that I would do, ever, just because my hands don't work as well, I have to move real slow working clips etc so I figure thats deep enough, espeically with helium now.

    On trimix I count o2 as narcotic, my buddy I dive mix with doesn't.

    I've dove 30/30 in Devils and I thought it was a perfect mix for the dive

    Dark Eternal - I'd be curious how your wife would feel if you slipped her some 21 and told her it was 32 obviously not a good idea, but the results would be interesting, it would rule out the placebo affect.

    First time I took my wife down to 120 on air in a nasty lake, I asked her how she did when it was over, she was like, everything was fine I couldn't tell a difference, I said, thats becase you were narcin, if you are at 120 and you "are not narcing" and feel 100% normal, that means your narced
    It actually happened the other way around. Every time she had been past 90' on 21 she had gotten narced. We were at JB and at the end of the dive she was like "I was not narced at all - that was a great dive" She thought she was breathing 21 but had in fact had grabbed the tank with 32%. I guess there is an argument for labeling your tanks better than we did. Like I said - not scientific at all but now she only dives 32% in the mill pond and is fine. Maybe its placebo - but it works for her. Personally I cant tell a difference between air and 32% up to MOD of the 32%.



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts