Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1

    Default 28% O2 vs. 32% O2: What a Difference

    As a result of inattention on my part, I ended up with a fill of 28% Nitrox, instead of the usual 32% I've breathed for years. I dived it at Ginnie today, and noticed a palpable difference in nitrogen narcosis as evidenced by increased anxiety. I also incurred a significantly longer decompression obligation. It's tempting to go back to partial pressure fills for a 36% mix, still under 1.6 PO2 for the local popular spots, but necessitating a closer eye on the CNS clock.

    Rick Palm, RN
    Fort White, Florida
    [email protected]
    386-843-1273

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Watauga TX
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I've never noticed a difference in narcosis, I narc about the same on 32 as I do on air.

    I can't imagine 4% would make any noticiable difference, what about other factors, fatigue, increase in flow/work, different reg etc etc.

    I'm also in the camp that o2 has narcotic effects

    just my observations and opinions, I'm not paid to know these things.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    807

    Default

    IMHO pushing the PO2 in high flow cave is asking for trouble.

    The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    41
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixxervi6 View Post
    I've never noticed a difference in narcosis, I narc about the same on 32 as I do on air.

    I can't imagine 4% would make any noticiable difference, what about other factors, fatigue, increase in flow/work, different reg etc etc.

    I'm also in the camp that o2 has narcotic effects

    just my observations and opinions, I'm not paid to know these things.
    I don't narc easy but my wife does. At 90' in a cave on air, she should not be there. She is 100% fine on 32%. It makes a lot of sense - less nitrogen being absorbed = less narcosis effects. From what I understand while oxygen does have narcotic effects it is significantly less at the shallower depths that most divers are operating at. There is absolutely zero science behind my observations but the results are very real for her at least.


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chimie007 View Post
    IMHO pushing the PO2 in high flow cave is asking for trouble.
    I agree!! The reason 32% is standard in Cave Country now is because of an accident at Devil's Eye. The standard back then was 34%. Someone had a little too hot mix, around 36%, and toxed.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dothan, AL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chimie007 View Post
    IMHO pushing the PO2 in high flow cave is asking for trouble.
    That's the kicker. PO2 of 1.6 is not smart at depth in a high flow environment and is not worth the little difference that 4% might make. The working portion of your dive should never be higher than 1.4 PO2, IMHO.

    Last edited by Captain Bil; 02-11-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: to add
    Bil Lindstrom
    UCLA

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY USA
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Palm View Post
    As a result of inattention on my part, I ended up with a fill of 28% Nitrox, instead of the usual 32% I've breathed for years. I dived it at Ginnie today, and noticed a palpable difference in nitrogen narcosis as evidenced by increased anxiety. I also incurred a significantly longer decompression obligation. It's tempting to go back to partial pressure fills for a 36% mix, still under 1.6 PO2 for the local popular spots, but necessitating a closer eye on the CNS clock.
    Perhaps it was the anxiety of diving a new mix that was the trip. Keep the PO2 low as practical. Don't kid yourself, one day a high PO2 might just clean your clock. FWIW, a few years back, we did some tests at 42MSW switching between Nx 5/95, air, and Nx 36/64. There was no discernible difference in the narcosis level between them!! A little more deco won't hurt you unless you dive dry w/o a pee valve.

    Dive Safe

    Dale

    An independent diver.

  8. #8

    Default

    You don't want to be increasing the O2 content to lower N2 %. You will eventually kill your self and possibly your buddy doing this. (assuming you find a buddy that will dive a plan like that with you).
    Use helium to decrease narcosis. Bottom line.


  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    12 years ago 36% (and even 38%) was the norm at Ginnie,but fortunately we got a lot smarter. There is too much CO2 build up to justify high PPO2 in a high flow cave system

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  10. #10
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches?
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Never underestimate the power of suggestion. Not to disparage anyone, but if you think you'll be less narced, you'll probably feel less narced.

    When nitrox made its way into the recreational realm in the mid-90s, there were a number of "benefits of nitrox" touted. You'll feel less tired after a dive. You'll feel less cold during a dive. You'll be less narced during a dive. As time went by, each of these were disproved in blind tests.

    The only proven benefit of nitrox is shorter decompression time/longer no-decompression time. As was mentioned, the standard nitrox mix in cave country used to be 34%. Now it's 32%, and I have started using 31% in Jackson Blue. The extra several minutes of deco is worth it to keep the PO2 a couple of points lower. I'm old, and I want to get older.

    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts