
Originally Posted by
traveler
Falmouth is probably the best entrance for folks who are interested in checking out the system for the first time. The boardwalk and steps make for easier access than Cathedral, it's a little shallower, and as you head upstream it's kindof cool to check out Aquarius from below.
Max depth between Falmouth and Cathedral is in the 130-135 ballpark. I would strongly encourage the use of helium to mitigate narcosis. We use 18/45 for the whole thing. TAKE THIS SYSTEM SERIOUSLY. I can't tell you how many otherwise competent divers go in and feel uneasy the whole time because of the bad viz, stained walls, and the insidious narcotic range in which the system falls. Way too many people think they're immune to that due to experience or general studliness, and as you might infer I think that's pretty ridiculous given how easy it is to address with helium.
If you make it as far as Jewel, PLEASE pay close attention to the lines, which were a little squirrelly last I saw them. Mark your exit. (A buddy and I plan to address this shortly.)
I agree with Kelly's assessment about the viz trends and line conditions. Every time the system floods the lines need attention, and I'm sure that's the case now. I last stopped by Falmouth on 1/9, but did not get in. The water still looked pretty tannic, perhaps a few feet of viz, but it was flowing in the right direction at a decent rate. It may be swimmable now, but most divers probably won't enjoy it until the viz improves a bit.
Our long dives were from Cathedral, which is the farthest upstream entrance (known) in the system. End of the line is a little beyond 17K now, and the cave appears to still be going strong. We're eager to go back and see what happens. Once we can scooter again, we have a laundry list of things to do before the next push. It takes quite a bit of prep work to set up. There are safeties out to around 12K, but we know some are bad at this point. The hurricanes and resultant rise in the Suwannee really nailed us, unfortunately, but that's just the nature of the beast.
- Todd Leonard
Bookmarks