Quote Originally Posted by phillip1 View Post
I wonder how the Salvo 21W compares to an HID? does anyone have any experience with those?
I replaced my DR 10W HID with the Salvo 21W LED and am very pleased. I had a wreck can and the 21W can is smaller (although bigger than the slimline -- it is about the size of a spray paint can). I just powered up both the 21W and 12W Salvo LEDs next to each other and the beam angle is the same. Looking at the reflector reveals why -- from the looks of it, they are the same.

However, when Sam and I were at the bottom of the quarry when we first got them, I switched through the settings (when the 21W could switch power settings) and it seemed like the 21W at 20%-40% matched the 12W's output. This would be in cave like conditions since the quarry is really mucky up top and no light makes it down to 150ft in the cold clearer water.

I think they are both great lights. I had the DR LED300 and loved it for its size, but the beam was nothing to write home about -- BUT I lived with it because of the convenience factor. The Salvo 12W is a perfect upgrade/replacement for it (we even carry the 12W in the same pocket the LED300 came in).

~Jeff