Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Talcum powder

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Another vote for KY - though I have used unscented shampoo diluted with water 4:1 - it works fine too.

    Mike


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pompano Beach
    Posts
    2,285

    Default KY it is!

    Quote Originally Posted by mmcauliffe View Post
    Lee Ann on this board uses it too, swears by it.
    Yes I have been using it for years, got the idea from John Orlowski. I go to the Dollar General store and usually buy all they have at $2.00 a tube.(I buy an off brand, not Ky), I get a few odd looks at the check out. I makes slipping in and out easy.

    roadkill

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Fl.
    Posts
    1,671

    Default UV Tech

    I use the stuff that came with my drysuit from DR it is called UV Tech a couple of sprays and they are nice and easy to get on and off for at least three or four dives.


  4. #24

    Default talc

    Baby powder is not recommended for latex seals. It will accelerate the deterioration of them . I use pure talc with no additives which is hard to find. I send away for it. I use it after diving to help preserve the seals between dives.


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Branford
    Age
    79
    Posts
    856

    Default no baby powder

    Am I the only one who uses nothing?


  6. #26
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    south Georgia
    Posts
    7,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpdiver View Post
    Baby powder is not recommended for latex seals. It will accelerate the deterioration of them . I use pure talc with no additives which is hard to find. I send away for it. I use it after diving to help preserve the seals between dives.
    http://www.gemplers.com/product/63/1-lb-Tire-Talc

    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puttzer View Post
    Am I the only one who uses nothing?
    I used nothing for quite a while, 'til a seal stuck to my hand as I was pushing it through and tore. A fairly new one, too.

    Mike


  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Eagle, Idaho
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I use tire talc from NAPA. It is nothing but pure talc with no additives or scents. It's cheap and comes in a large canister that lasts a long time.

    Dave Grimm


    Now there was only me and this timeless, eternal cave. I felt part of things, a tolerant guest.
    by Rob Palmer from "Deep Into Blue Holes"

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    24,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puttzer View Post
    Am I the only one who uses nothing?
    Nope, not the only one

    I seem to sweat enough to slide right in

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #30

    Default Soap & water 7:1

    I use a light soap & water to get my hands in, and to get them out. I use Silicone on the latex seals when the suit is not in use. I know the manufatures say not to use Silcone ( I use the pump spray only). But after diving drysuits for 23 years, having 3 of them now, and just now having to replace a 5 year old set on my TLS 350 with 250+ dives on it, tell me silicon does not work!

    My other dive team members are always busting seals.



    Stan



 

Similar Threads

  1. Steel Tanks & Powder Paint ?
    By caver in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts